1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Entry Level Science for Y9

Discussion in 'Science' started by dappyness1, Jan 20, 2020.

1. dappyness1

dappyness1 New commenter

Just a musing

Does anyone teach the entry level AQA Science to a whole Y9 cohort before moving them all on to Trilogy in Y10? We are moving to a three yr KS3 and the hours for KS4 have been cut back so I am looking at some bridging ideas.

Thanks

2. fiendishlyclever

fiendishlyclever Occasional commenter

Think of ELC as KS3+
    If you taught it between KS3 and trilogy there would be lots of repetition of content. You'd have to think about how you'd reteach this material without doing the same thing again (when I taught ELC I used to pitch at lower GCSE level for most topics)

On the other hand, it could be a good motivator - the certificates you get after each unit can be helpful to those with low self-esteem. I personally wouldn't like to use them as bridging units but some might? Think about what you want in bridging units - skills needed for required practicals? maths skills? command words? These could be taught in a KS3 curriculum so that students are ready for GCSE in Y10.

3. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

My experience is that it would be too easy for some and isn’t really what I’d look for in a KS3 qualification in the sense of how SATS was. Just an opinion but I don’t think there would be the value in it.