1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Entry Level Functional Skills - English

Discussion in 'English' started by Maisielucy, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Maisielucy

Maisielucy New commenter

Hi, I've just moved departments within my school and I'm teaching Entry Level Functional Skills in English with SEN post 16 students. Prior to this I was in primary! So I was wondering if anyone had any expertise, knowledge or tips they could pass on to someone teaching this qualification for the first time!
    Thanks.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi MaisieLucy

I haven't taught Functional Skills, but I have just had a quick look on the resource section of this site and there are many resources available for Functional Skills in English - some are free.

3. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

There are loads of appropriate resources on the skillsworkshop site - just google it. There will be resources appropriate to their interests e.g. animals, football, whatever. There will also be resources appropriate to whatever their vocational subject is e.g. childcare, construction industry, cooking.
    AQA do a subject called step-up-to English, which is their replacement for FS. A look at their resources may be useful.
    You sound ideally suited to teaching FS. The academic age of these students will be about 10-12 years of age, maybe lower, - this may be an area worth researching, I am not an expert here. Therefore, your primary background is probably more suitable than a secondary background.
    Remember, these students are physically mature - some may be over 6 feet tall! but they are not academically or emotionally mature. You will experience the sulks, tantrums and perceived slights that you experienced in primary.
    Good Luck:)

pepper5 likes this.
  4. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I taught this years ago try the excellence gateway .org website there are loads of stuff on there including a starter toolkit.

pepper5 likes this.