1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Entry Level Certificate

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by JodiP, Feb 2, 2011.

1. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

Does anyone teach Entry Level? What board do people use? How are the units assessed?

Thanks

2. I do Entry level RE WJEC as part of the Humanities examination. The units are assessed within school and marks sent off. I find the exams quite limited in their understanding of RE. However, the exam will change in the near future and teachers will be able to set their own questions around the themes.

3. Hi,

We teach the OCR syllabus. It is assessed using 15 pieces of classwork and 2 short pieces of coursework all marked internally and moderated externally.

4. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

Hi, we teach the OCR syllabus as well but this year have decided against the entry level certificate. Last year we had approximately 25 students doing the ELC and the majority of them were not happy about not being entered for the same exam as everyone else. Out of the 25, there were about 4 who didn't care anyway. Our HOD decided that anyone destined for an F or G would do the entry level instead in order to boost grade performance. However, when considering this, it was not taken into account that the department would be judged on the predicted FFTd grades. Obvioulsy, if FFTd judges a student with an outcome of a grade G and then only gets an entry level, this is counted against the residuals.

However if FFTd says a student will get G and he/she does get a G, nothing is lost in the residuals because the student achieved his/her target grade.

5. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

Thanks for that. Do people find it easy to do? We have quite a large number of complex needs pupils and so think this may be the better option?

6. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

I usually have all bottom set in at least one bottom set for yr 10 and 11. Even on lad with learning difficulties was able to achieve a G in year10. he probably won't do a lot better than that (possible an F) - but at least he has a qualification which is worth more than an ELC. Our school has a high percentage of of SEN and the ELC has been snubbed.
    I have to ask myself whether it is right to take away the right to earn a GCSE qualification. Even if they can't get very far, at least the student can say 'I have a GCSE in....' It's more about peace of mind and a sense of achievement... No matter what the scale...
    xx