1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Entitlement - what does this mean for you?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by chris_martin, Jan 10, 2016.

1. chris_martin

chris_martin New commenter

Hello all,

I'm Head of Languages in a secondary school in Wolverhampton and I am currently a doctoral researcher at the University of Wolverhampton.

I am interested in looking at how language in educational policy influences policies and practice. My research will look at how the notion of 'entitlement' has shaped our curriculum planning and if multiple interpretations of this term has implications when translating it in policy and practice.

I am interested to hear from senior leaders about how they interpret the term 'entitlement' and how this shapes curriculum planning in their schools.

Particularly in languages, 'entitlement' has had many different guises (compulsory, optional, compulsory in certain key stages etc). When you look at the definition of entitlement, other words that are related include 'liberty', 'opportunity' and so on. So my question is...

Do you think that 'entitlement' is the right term in educational policy?

I would really like to hear your comments and how this affects your own institutions.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to reading your comments.

Chris Martin