1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

entitlement to triple science

Discussion in 'Science' started by kritur, Jan 6, 2011.

1. I think they may only be guidelines and not necessarily enforceable... A students achieving L6 should be given the option to study triple science. You may be able to appeal against the pathway he has been put on to see if you can get him in the other band. WIth poor literacy skills though he may begin to struggle when he hits GCSE, especially with biology which is very wordy. I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell you whether the guidelines are in anyway enforceable.

2. Thanks for the response Kritur. My son's reading and understanding is at or above the expected level but his spelling is poor although it has improved in recent months.

3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

If it's his literacy try and push for an alphasmart or a laptop that he could use to work on in lessons. You could also see about him opting out of an option at GCSE and working with a SEN teacher on his literacy, I'd also suggest (if it's something you could manage) maybe sorting some outside tuition for his literacy. I say this as a dyslexic that did have tuition for a while as a kid, it really helped me work around things so that even if i'm not up to where i should be so to speak i'm at least around average for my literacy. I coped with top set science, although the school i did my GCSE's at did mess up and i had to work up from foundation, through intermediate and then into the top set the november before the exams...and I still bagged a double A.

So yeah, i say push for the triple science all you can. As the previous poster said he may well struggle with the written work but with support for that he can do it. The key thing is the understanding and you'll have time to help him get ready for his exams.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It was a "last government" thing, introduced when there were still SATs exams. I'm unclear of the legal status of this statement.
    If wanting to do science involves having a good crack at learning tasks, and the student is achieving level 6 in year 8, then he would get a crack at triple in my school. After all, you can always drop down to double if it truly goes pear shaped.
    Best wishes,
    P
    (para 2 because I've come across students who "really want to do science" - as long as they don't actually have to do anything. I'm sure your son's not like that.)

5. Level 6 is the usual requirment however some schools make this more directed. In our school for example we ask for 6b's as a minimum requirment. If parents push however, pupils are allowed to sit the course by even gaining 6c's, class sizes and staffing are obviously other factors taken into consideration. Literacy skills should not be a massive barrier with full support from the teacher in question, LS department and full parental support of course. Word banks and other resources allow pupils to gain confidence in the writing elements. With the new GCSE in Science and extended written exam questions( with marks allocated for communication of the Science) all pupils will need more direction and practice of written communication skills in Science. Once the skill is mastered they will be fine. good luck

6. My school also has the 'three pathways'. I had two of my Y9 students (both with moderate literacy difficulties) who were on the middle pathway and so supposedly excluded from going on to study Triple Science. They were both very interested in science and very hard working and had acheived well in Y9 (one 6b the other 7c). I supported their appeal to be allowed to take Triple and - as the timetable allowed it - are going to. They and their parents know that they will have to work hard, but that there is support for them.

It is worth asking, and seeing what the opinion of their teacher is. I know I would far rather have a keen, hardworking student in my class than one that got high grades in Y9 but really wasn't that interested.

7. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

How can you ask for 6bs when they don't exist?

8. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

In my school we offer it to most. All we ask for is that the students work hard for us. All the triple courses are geared for grades A* to G and at the start cover what the GCSE Science covers.

If 'low ability' students can take GCSE History, why not the 3 sciences?

9. It may also be worth mentioning that triple science is not essential for students to carry on to AS/A2 in the sciences (although it would, of course be better).
    The new A levels have been developed so that students who have studied dual award are still able to continue. Whilst there is a big jump between dual award GCSE and AS, many schools have only just started to offer triple science so it's not an absolute requirement.
    At my school a B in additional science (and hopefully a B or higher in science) is all that we ask if a student is to continue....

10. Literacy issues should never stop someone completing triple science, especially if he is achieving level 6 at the moment. I would kick up a fuss. I know triple science is not necessary for a-level but it makes their life so much easier. I really think you should kick up a fuss and get him in the right band - if he is only in middle band because of the literacy problems they are not supporting him and that is their fault. I had literacy issues and I was very successful at science. I have also taught learners with literacy issues who have achieved high grades at GCSE.

11. I tried to find the relevant regulation on appealing against a school's decision to deny a student access to triple sciences but could not find it anywhere. Does anybody know? Not even sure who the competent authority above the school is for such a matter...

12. oHelzo

oHelzo Occasional commenter

Way back in the 90s aged 15 my school offered double science only and I wanted to do Human Biology to help me along with my career, so I did night classes at the local college in addition to the full school timetable. Could this be an option?

13. Not sure if this is still active, but just wanted to make a quick point...
    A previous poster mentioned doing triple as you can 'always drop down to double' (OWTTE). With many, if not all, of the new GCSE courses you are unable to drop back down to double if you start triple science, so be careful!