1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Entitlement to time off for IVF

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by toeinwater, May 30, 2012.

1. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

So just thinking ahead, what are my rights, if any? I've looked in the Burgundy Book and cannot find anything. Does this mean it's down to individual schools or LEAs? So basically I want to know whether I'm entitled to time off paid or unpaid, and if so how much time. Does this time off count as sick leave (for appointments and procedures, rather than following ET, when I guess in theory mat entitlement kicks in?) as our school policy has recently changed and racking up the sick days would not be good!
    Questions questions! So, does anyone have the answers, that's what I want to know!

2. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

So just thinking ahead, what are my rights, if any? I've looked in the Burgundy Book and cannot find anything. Does this mean it's down to individual schools or LEAs? So basically I want to know whether I'm entitled to time off paid or unpaid, and if so how much time. Does this time off count as sick leave (for appointments and procedures, rather than following ET, when I guess in theory mat entitlement kicks in?) as our school policy has recently changed and racking up the sick days would not be good!
    Questions questions! So, does anyone have the answers, that's what I want to know!

3. jubileebabe

jubileebabe New commenter

I don't know for sure but from what I've read on other threads it seems to be up to individual schools.
    My first IVF cycle was partly over the Xmas holidays so I didn't need much time off. I just told school I had hospital appointments. I booked my second cycle for the summer holiday to avoid questions.
    I hope someone has definite answers for you!

4. Can you get hold of your LEA's maternity information? There was something in there about IVF for mine.
    Initially I told my HT that I had "hospital appointments" to attend when we have irregular appointments (one in Feb, then another in April) After that, I told my (very understanding and approachable!) HT what I was having done, because I needed to attend for scans every 2-3 days (I tried to book the first one each day to get to work as soon as possible if I could...) You cannot be made to tell your employer about treatment you are having, but could be asked to provide proof if tey think you are taking th p1$$ having such frequent appointments! A friendly GP may well sign you off after egg collection, as it is an invasive surgical procedure and you will be sedated/under anaesthetic depending on your clinic's set-up, so cannot be left alone/drive for a time afterwards. Likewise after transfer, you may be able to get a GP to sign you off. Any absence after transfer is counted as "during pregnancy" and cannot be used against you in any absence monitoring procedures.
    As I said, start with your LEA policy if you can get it (ring HR if you can't get to it online). My HT was far more generous that she needed to be, but she appreciated my honesty and that helped me I think! Then, consider how flexible your HT is likely to be - if you think he/she will accomodate you, consider coming clean. If not, keep quiet, but be prepared for someone to ask for you to prove your appointments are necessary and at the times you say.

5. Our LA lets you have the first 10 visits for fertility treatment paid and then thereafter unpaid. It also says appointments should be out of school time where possible and something along the lines of you should aim to miss as little of the day as possible (ie get the latest appointment possible so you are only missing period 6 etc).
    Our clinic is over 100 miles away from home/school and worrying about time off for treatment has added to the overall stress of having to have treatment if I am honest - However, the 2 people who know why I have had time off have been incredible nice about it when I have requested cover.

6. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

Thanks for your input.
    I checked out our policies at school and found no mention of ivf appointments or similar that could be cross-transferable.
    I hadn't thought of checking with my authority rather than the school, so I think I shall ring HR next week and see if they can shed any light on things. I don't mind too much if the days are unpaid (although paid is obviously better!) but I hope to goodness that I have the right to attend them - I don't want my life and the possibility of a family determined by when school holidays fall.

7. I don't see how they can say you can't attend them - you have every right. I would have thought th only thing they would do is say your appointments went unpaid. Good luck x

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I get paid for the first 90 minutes of absence for each appointment (which isn't helpful when it takes 90 minutes and more to get there...), after that, I have to go unpaid.
    I have been told that I can't have any more time off after my current cycle. Should I need more time off, I'll be onto my union about it!
    If you Google NUT fertility, you'll find a useful document.

9. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

Thanks for that. I'll take a look some time.