1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Entertaining 18 year olds

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Hello!
    I have a job interview next week for a pastoral role at a girls' boarding school. I've just been reading the inspection reports of the boarding house and one of the very few criticisms made by the older boarding girls, is that the evening activities are pitched towards the younger boarders.
    I'm guessing that they may ask me at interview about how I would go about organising indoor evening activities for 18 year old girls.
    Other than quizzes, cooking, and board games, are there any that spring to mind? My eldest child is only 9, so your help would be most appreciated!
    Many thanks.

2. Hello!
    I have a job interview next week for a pastoral role at a girls' boarding school. I've just been reading the inspection reports of the boarding house and one of the very few criticisms made by the older boarding girls, is that the evening activities are pitched towards the younger boarders.
    I'm guessing that they may ask me at interview about how I would go about organising indoor evening activities for 18 year old girls.
    Other than quizzes, cooking, and board games, are there any that spring to mind? My eldest child is only 9, so your help would be most appreciated!
    Many thanks.

3. At 18, I couldn't think of anything worse than somebody trying to force me into 'fun activities'!

4. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Make-up lessons? Film nights? Avon-style parties? Guitar Hero/Band Hero/Singstar nights? 'Come Dine with Me' evening meal cooked by different houses each week? Book club?

(I'm very jealous, I think I'd quite like to work in a boarding school)

5. Yes, I know what you mean!! It's just that I got the impression from the report that they rather like it!

6. Brilliant, thanks SB.

7. I would encourage the independence fitting to young adults by suggesting they organise their own entertainment. Start a social committee or something similar but let them lead it.

8. A very good and valid idea, airy.
    Have to go out now but thanks for suggestions so far.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm thinking that could end in tears... ;-)

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Fundraising for their chosen charity? There is so much to gain from starting a mini business, organising a fete or even "just" sponsored walk.

11. What lilac said.
    I think they still need guided activities, if you ask them what they want to do, they will want to drink, meet boyfriends, etc.
    Which at 18, they have every right to do. They are grown ups. Legally.

12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

13. Food for university
    Driving test
    Money management
    Life skills
    etc.

14. Yes, this is what I'd suggest too. I do these things with my Sixth Form tutor group and they're really "into it".
    We've also done budgeting for university but in a fun way.
    Could they do some voluntary work in the community? I didn't think my lot would want to do that but they've really got enthusiastic about it.

15. ian60

ian60 New commenter

At 18, I don't remember forcing any 'fun activities' on any girl, I really was terrified of sex as well.

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Bet you that was just the lull before the storm [​IMG]