1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Enterprise tip for food teachers

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Nov 16, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

My current wife has been tasked with the job of organising a Christmas party for the charity she is a voluntary worker in.
    To date, she's been thinking along the lines of what they did last year, which was basically a Christmas dinner in a pub. So she's been downloading menus off the net from all the local pubs and I've been telling her to call the manager of every pub, tell them you're a charity with limited funds, you'd prefer to hold it in the village where the charity is based, but other members travel in from further afield, and are making suggestions closer to their homes.
    Entirely untue, of course, because nobody wants to get lumberered with organising such things.
    So I've told her to play the pubs off against each other for the best deal with the prospect that neither would win if a distant pub offer a better deal.
    But today she told me that the Ashford branch had organised a buffet meal prepared by a local school, so it occurs to me that there''s an enterprise that could be rolled out for every school with a food room if the will existed.
    Events requiring catering occur every day of the week. Schools have the facilies to provide and staff with training in food hygene. Profits could be split down the middle between the school and the teachers giving their time, and if you worked it right with the school management you'd get the profit the school made to be available for equipment and ingredients.
    Why not?

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

My current wife has been tasked with the job of organising a Christmas party for the charity she is a voluntary worker in.
    To date, she's been thinking along the lines of what they did last year, which was basically a Christmas dinner in a pub. So she's been downloading menus off the net from all the local pubs and I've been telling her to call the manager of every pub, tell them you're a charity with limited funds, you'd prefer to hold it in the village where the charity is based, but other members travel in from further afield, and are making suggestions closer to their homes.
    Entirely untue, of course, because nobody wants to get lumberered with organising such things.
    So I've told her to play the pubs off against each other for the best deal with the prospect that neither would win if a distant pub offer a better deal.
    But today she told me that the Ashford branch had organised a buffet meal prepared by a local school, so it occurs to me that there''s an enterprise that could be rolled out for every school with a food room if the will existed.
    Events requiring catering occur every day of the week. Schools have the facilies to provide and staff with training in food hygene. Profits could be split down the middle between the school and the teachers giving their time, and if you worked it right with the school management you'd get the profit the school made to be available for equipment and ingredients.
    Why not?

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Time and energy constraints, surely.
    My wife's school offers catering for events, but this is because the catering service is contracted out.
    Teachers aren't likely to give up their evenings (which is when such events most frequently occur; daytime events being impossible during term-time) just to make a few extra quid. Our main jobs are demanding enough, and anyway, teachers' salaries aren't bad. Money isn't everything. There's nothing that would make me want to go out and work of an evening, especially now I have a family.
    Not to mention very late nights - getting home past midnight most nights and then getting up at the crack of dawn to do my real job all over again? No thanks.

4. Because of things like CRB checks for anyone comming into school - or did you mean outside catering?
    FE colleges have been doing this for years. I wouldn't recomend Wolverhampton's training restraunt, but Stafford college has three and one is pre booked weeks in advance.