1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

enterprise ideas for year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by groovyshell83, Jun 5, 2012.

1. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

I am looking for an enterprise project that I can get my year 6s in to. I have heard of the Make £5 grow project - does anyone know if this is still going or where I can get any info or ideas from?
    Similarly if someone has done something similar in their school, please could you share your ideas with me?
    Thank you in advance

2. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

I am looking for an enterprise project that I can get my year 6s in to. I have heard of the Make £5 grow project - does anyone know if this is still going or where I can get any info or ideas from?
    Similarly if someone has done something similar in their school, please could you share your ideas with me?
    Thank you in advance

3. I am planning on using http://teacher-rob.posterous.com/caines-cardboard-arcade-enterprise-week-idea this idea in Y5/6 next academic year.
    I have not finished writing the plans, sorry, so none to share. I am thinking about letting children create own arcade machines. having budget for prizes and costing against number of visitors ease of winning etc. Then open up to the rest of the school in the hall one night where all monies go to charity.
    I have also ran french cafes at break for parents and children, where the children costed and bought produce, made menus and served customers.

4. bonniconni

bonniconni New commenter

We spent £5 on ice bargain ice lollies and ice pops from Tesco, popped them into the kitchen's freezer, added on 200% margin and sold them at break times. We then reinvested the profit into replacement stock. So far we have made nearly £100 from our £5 stake. Its really simple no-hassle idea that the children all enjoy.

5. Love that!!

6. Every xmas we have a school fair and the year 5 and 6 pupils runs stalls; could be anything from games to selling cakes to painting faces. This year each group of pupils (they get together with friends to do the stalls) had to submit a 'business plan' - what they were going to do, what they'd need and cost, how much they'd charge - and they could have up to £5 per group towards costs. Some spent money on sweets for prizes, some bought ingredients to bake cakes etc.
    The money that they raised at the fair was given to the PTA as usual and the kids found out how much profit they had made. I think they made about £600 profit and it was certainly the most successful the stalls have ever been. Prizes were given to the top profit stalls.