1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Enrichment activity confusion

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by purplerprincess, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I agree with CTB, I would interpret enrichment as an activity based on teamwork and communication. I would not do a Maths activity. Personally, I would do something musical, maybe teach them a song in another language, get them singing in rounds, adding actions and instruments, working together to create an end result. They want to see how creative you are.

Pomza and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

This is much more likely to be what they are looking for than differentiation by year group.

Pomza and (deleted member) like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

4. purplerprincess

purplerprincess New commenter

So maybe a speaking and listening challenge?

5. purplerprincess

purplerprincess New commenter

What do you think of a speaking and listening activity working in pairs. Imperative verbs. One child uses Lego to make something they then describe it to their partner who has to try and make it? Year r to copy a ready made model and describe to an adult what they did?

6. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

In sensible schools, yes.

However maybe the OP has taught in a school like one I know of where they were insisting there were three different 'chilli challenges' for each year in each maths lesson (this was KS2 - not sure whether KS1 was different)? What seems normal to people can really vary!

7. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

P.S. Call me Captain Obvious but if you are planning on doing something with Lego, unless you are planning on taking your own stash in, might want to just contact the school in advance and check you will be able to use it...or make it so that the Reception pre-built models can be switched very quickly and easily to multi-link, sticklebricks (are they still a thing?) or whatever...

agathamorse likes this.