1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Enrichment activity confusion

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by purplerprincess, Jan 2, 2020.

1. purplerprincess

purplerprincess New commenter

I have an interview soon and have to plan an enrichment activity. What do you think the panel are looking for in an enrichment activity? I've not come across this before so unsure where to start.

It needs to incorporate maths/ english skills and is for a r/ks1 class. What type of thing are they after? Really want to get started with planning it but don't know where to start!

I would be very grateful for any advice!

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Nrich is a very useful source of enrichment activities in Maths, albeit my knowledge of it is for an older age range - it does go down as far as early years though. It could give you some ideas. My take on "enrichment" would be developing ideas into a context, or requiring thinking skills, problem solving.
    https://nrich.maths.org/early-years

digoryvenn likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Our enrichment lessons are things outside the national curriculum.
    So we have done things like construction, yoga. jigsaw puzzles, playground games, country dancing, etc.
    We teach the sessions in mixed EYFS/KS1 groups.

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Get them to build something connected to their current topic out of Lego. Then draw and label it. Then get them to count/group how many bricks they used. Job done, name your price! ;)

5. purplerprincess

Thanks for ideas all. My panic is that they have called it an enrichment activity and I worry that what I plan won't be what they were looking for. Also I am worried about the 3 year groups and differentiation. I only have 20 minutes!

6. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

Tangrams can be good for this type of thing. Lots of discussion and language required. Accessible to any age and quick to get started.

7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I would guess that by enrichment they mean not on the curriculum.

20 minutes is very short.

something on recycling? with rubbish to sort? Something on electricity generating, if you have the equipment to generate electricity? Something on fruit and veg, if you have fruit and veg? something on archeology in a sand pit? or sand trays? Something on geography with jigsaws?

agathamorse and (deleted member) like this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

For interviews one never knows what they are looking for. Plan something that is 'you' and if they don't like it, then it won't be the school for you. Excite and wow the children and keep them excited and engaged.
    20 minutes is quite a long time for little ones. An enrichment activity is usually self differentiating, which is probably why they have asked for that rather than a maths or English lesson. Knowledge isn't what you are teaching in enrichment, but skills, keep that in mind when planning.

You could give them a practical task to get on with and then use your questioning to differentiate. My guess is the group are used to working together as a class and will find their own levels of challenge.

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Get a load of bananas and hide them about the classroom - in the hollow logs and inside tyre swings and the like. Or get them to solve a small puzzle and reward them with mealworms.

ajrowing likes this.
  10. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Oh wait...I may be thinking of enrichment at the zoo...scrap that idea.

11. purplerprincess

That's what it reminds me of too!

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Let's go with the Lego as it was one of the earliest.

You count count the bricks. You could calculate how many groups of 2 bricks that makes. You could discover whether the total is divisible exactly by 5 or 10. They could calculate how many bricks it would take to make another identical model and what that would be in total.

agathamorse and Pomza like this.
  13. purplerprincess

I think I am going to go with a shop roleplay. I think as long as I am differentiating for the three year groups and it is a gun activity then I will be along the right lines. Hopefully!

14. caterpillartobutterfly

I worry that shop roleplay sounds more like a maths lesson than an enrichment activity. And certainly difficult to do with a whole class...can you ensure they are all engaged all of the time?
    Will they really be role playing? As in getting ready to go, shoes and coats on, collecting bags, maybe the toy pushchairs and dollies to take, maybe the toy phones?
    Who will have which roles? Will they keep them for the whole twenty minutes...which is a very long time to play shops!

Some of Year 2 may well be able to sort out change from a pound and the like.
    Some of Reception may not even recognise digits.

If you like it and feel confident then of course you must do as you think...but it is a long way from what I understand as enrichment.

15. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

:eek:

Pomza likes this.
  16. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Gun activity? Are you in the USA?

Pomza likes this.
  17. purplerprincess

Obviously gun is a typo. I think I need to concentrate on the fact they will be wanting to see that I can differentiate for the three year groups. I'm not sure how I would do that with a tangram activity etc.

18. thecagedbird

thecagedbird New commenter

They seem to have asked for an enrichment activity though not differentiation?

Pomza likes this.
  19. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Is that still a thing...?

20. caterpillartobutterfly

Why do you think that?
    Generally in composite classes, people teach by stage not age...ie they don't differentiate by year group, but by attainment.
    And I doubt that a school asking for 'enrichment' is looking for differentiation. If you say you went with maths rather than enrichment as asked because you thought they wanted differentiation, it might not go down too well.

Pomza and (deleted member) like this.