1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

enquiries about recruitment

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by lia91, Oct 21, 2015.

1. lia91

lia91 New commenter

Good morning.I am teacher in primary school and I am From Greece.May I ask you if I can apply for teaching assistant positions?Do I have possibilities to be recruited?Any information would be extremely helpful.

2. OBakaSama

OBakaSama Occasional commenter

Hoping I don't come across as rude, if I do then I apologise in advance.

There's nothing to stop you from making an application for a TA position at a school. Whether your application is successful is another matter. (Some schools have additional information regarding the position they advertise.)

If you make an application there will always be a chance of gaining an interview, as such there is nothing to lose.

Familiarity of the National Curriculum will be helpful, as well as understanding the role of a TA. While there are courses for TAs, the fact you are a teacher already trumps the TA qualification. I suspect in your case you will have to show you can work in the British system. (With respect to teaching perhaps the other boards are more helpful about moving to the UK and gaining QTS.).

I've known teachers turning to TAs for personal reasons, so that shouldn't be an obstacle.

3. lia91

lia91 New commenter

Thank you for your response.
    I would like to mention that I have already applied in TA positions many times.However, many people from a variety of websites have told me that these jobs refer to people who live in each country. In addition, I have read the QTS or PGCE are prerequisites for someone to work broad (don't forget that I am from Greece)!

4. OBakaSama

QTS and PGCE are teacher related qualifications, and they are not needed for being a TA. On that note: QTS trumps PGCE.

Personally I'm not familiar with crossing international borders with statuses. A friend was a teacher in a foreign country but had to take the PGCE to be qualified to teach in the UK. However, this is really a side issue to the aim of gaining a job as a TA.

I am uncertain whether a British school would require a foreign national to have an equivalent of QTS to work as a TA. To me this sounds wrong if I have read what you wrote correctly. A standard level of English and Maths are fairly common requirements looking at job adverts (typically the equivalent of a C-grade at GCSE level).

Personally, I would take your country of origin to be completely irrelevant to whether you can work as a TA, because some schools are willing to employ people with little to no experience. (I am somewhat idealistic.) Whether recruiters have a bias.... that will depend on the people who interview you.

There is a thread titled "Unnamed thread" here which collects a lot of questions prospective TAs have come across in interviews. I would also recommend you check the thread out to help prepare for interviews; it's very informative.

5. OBakaSama

Wanted to edit my previous post to add the following information, but I don't see an option for it.

According to another thread on the boards, it has been mentioned that a PGCE holds more authority abroad than QTS (as QTS can be achieved without a PGCE?). In other words, QTS has limited application across the world; whereas the PGCE is more recognised.