1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Enough is enough

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Burndenpark, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Well- I had an add blocker and it stopped the annoying video playing, but TES figured a way around that.
    The video crashes the web browser we have at work a time or two over the space of my dinner break- at home , now it constantly interrupts the visuals for the game I am usually playing on my other screen.

@mattf12345
    @ any other TES people-

The advert is not working.... you can't sell space on it, all it is doing is driving away users and so killing your site- please get some techs to fix the video or take it down.

I'll look in from time to time- it's not a flounce, I'm not leaving, just cutting back a lot until that video stops interfering with anything else I may be running.

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

There's a thread on here about it. Those who resolved it say it has to do with the adblocker settings. It isn't something I've experienced, but it looks like I use a different adblocker to others.

It raises the question of whether social media is sustianable without adverts. How would everyone feel if their social media experience was advert-free, but paid for in a similar way that the advert-free BBC is funded?

3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

So what's changed in the last few days?
    Because my adblocker was dealing with it, then it wasn't, and the videos were there..
    I hadn't done anything different at that point, so what else had changed?
    As I posted on the other thread, I changed the settings of my adblocker to deal with it, then I found Chrome wouldn't load anything.
    So I fiddled with the adblocker again - back to where it was - and Chrome worked and the TES videos had disappeared.
    :confused:

4. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

5. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

Which adblocker are you using? AdBlocker Plus sells a bypass to some companies so they won’t be blocked. My preferred ones are Ghostery, AdGuard Adblocker and Privacy Badger.

The last one was created by privacy activists, you’d be surprised by how many people are tracking you across the internet.

modelmaker likes this.
  6. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

It was interesting to note that at one time, Firefox was advocating AdBlocker Plus, but after a secuity update, that reset Firefox, it stopped appearing in the list of suggested adblockers and they suggested Ghostery instead if you wanted an adblocker.

theworm123 likes this.
  7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Ghostery on Firefox works. (Despite Windows constantly trying to ovveride me and make theirs my "preferred")

8. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I haven't the sound on so it is just mumming heads.

10. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

I use a Firefox derivative called Waterfox but the same extensions work on either, I took a screenshot below to show just how many trackers they block just on TES alone. The blue 'S' is called HTTPSeverywhere which is very good, all my extensions are open source software as well. The one that looks like a gate is a container for Facebook.

adblockers.PNG

AdblockerPlus was probably removed by Firefox after they started selling access to users, it's a shame they were very good at one point.

11. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

The adds are almost all for TES though- they can't sell space.

I think they have invested in the bypass from Adblocker that the Worm mentions. Obviously they haven't considered that if people took the trouble to down load one add blocker then a bypass just means that a) they will get another one and b) if that fails to work they will stop using the site.

I think it's AdBlocker (posting in brew time from work ATM)- I didn't bother up to TES starting with the adds originally and the bandwidth problem I mention lower down. I accept that sites need to sell space, but if they put that above the functionality of the site then you have to wonder if the site has a future.

Play the audio some time- mostly they are journos telling us how teachers depend on them and but for their assistance education would fall off a cliff.

The problem isn't the audio- it's the rubbish coding for the audio- I can play youtube or what ever on my second screen without an issue, but the TES adverts (yes that little box) take so much bandwidth that they interfere with what I have running on my first screen.

racroesus likes this.