1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

enormous turnip ideas please

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by jswif, Mar 10, 2012.

1. HELP! any chance anyone could give me some inspiration? this week we're doing the enormous turnip with reception class and i need some ideas for planning - brain appears to be dead at the moment. have cll covered but other areas of learning are lacking. anything would be greatfully received!! thanks sooooooo much in advance

2. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

PSRN - simple addition. How many people were pulling the enormous turnip out? 2+1 more = and so on.
    Weighing vegetables using hands and measuring scales, predicting which vegetable will be the heaviest/lightest (have a couple of red herrings in there), ordering the size of vegetables
    Turnip tasting/turnip or veg soup - lots of instructions, sequencing and maths involved.
    Learning about turnips - what kind of veg are they; how do they grow, perhaps planting some in the garden.
    CD - turnip printing, still life drawing/painting
    PD - can they peel or cut a turnip - exploring how tough the vegetable can be. Act out the story in a dance session, pretending to pull out the turnip - look at how you would need to hold your body, so you don't damage yourself when lifting something heavy
    PSED - helping others
    I'm sure there's much more...

sophykabi likes this.
  3. PSED - everybody is valuable. Sometimes a little mouse is just what you need!

4. thank you so much - not sure why my tiny brain couldn't work this one out this morning!!!! you're stars!

5. We concentrated on ordinal numbers, story sequencing, making and designing medals, setting up races/obstacle courses awarding the medals!! That also linked to you won't always be the best and even though the children did not come first their talent lies somwhere else and got them talking about what they are good at!! xxx

6. Get The Enourmous Turnip from Out of the Ark Music, simple songs and a short play - story is narrated with songs interspersed on the CD provided. The kids will love it.

7. Hi,
    I have just uploaded a small selection of resources for The Enormous Turnip on theTeaching Resources section of TES.
    I hope this may be helpful.
    [​IMG]