1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Enlighten me on redundancy procedure

Discussion in 'Primary' started by toeinwater, Jan 22, 2011.

1. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

So 'cutback's is the word of the year it seems!
    We've been told there will be redundancies amongst teachers at our school. We've unofficially been told this will be worked out through a range of 'scores' based on length of service, how expensive you are to employ etc. Does anyone know any more about it, especially how much one might expect/hope to get as a redundancy payout? I know it's not likely to be much but I'd really like to be more clued up as to what's going on.
    Thanks!

2. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

So 'cutback's is the word of the year it seems!
    We've been told there will be redundancies amongst teachers at our school. We've unofficially been told this will be worked out through a range of 'scores' based on length of service, how expensive you are to employ etc. Does anyone know any more about it, especially how much one might expect/hope to get as a redundancy payout? I know it's not likely to be much but I'd really like to be more clued up as to what's going on.
    Thanks!

3. I went through it 2 years ago.
    Won't lie, the process was horrendous. Each of us had to fill in a form that was 14 pages long answering all the governors questions. People then had lesson observations and interviews. Redundancies were made very early on in the year, so the last part of the school year was really horrible with the atmosphere.
    Redundancy pay is determined by a number of factors. You should be given the information by the LA. I was unable to take any form of redundancy as I was going straight into a new job that same year in September (there had to be a certain period of time between redundancy and securing a new job to actually get any money).

4. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

Thanks for the speedy response. Did all teaching staff have to fill in the form, or was it a selection based on some other factor?

5. Everyone had to do it if they wanted to keep their job/didn't take voluntary redundancy. TAs also had a very similar form and process. I didn't bother in the end as I was told I could not have any redundancy money and had already chosen to move on to another school.
    The staff were cut massively in the school.

6. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Can I ask what system/who has replaced those who were made redundant? For example, if you had a 12 class Primary with 12 teachers-who is teaching the classes now?

7. Nobody replaced those made redundant. Seperate classes for R-6 became mixed R/1/2 Mixed 3/4 and a mixed 5/6

8. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Right; thank you for the info. Were they really small classes before or really big afterwards? Our classes are all 30 (KS1) and at least that in KS2-they couldn't combine any.

I am just musing what might happen in a school such as ours if cuts were made.

9. Yes, dwindling class numbers and a huge defecit.
    My class only had 16 children in it by the time I left the school. The biggest number I ever had was 22.

10. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

In our case it's also diminishing numbers, to the extent that next year we are a class down.

11. Toeinwater, we went througha reduction scheme last year. There is a really strict protocol about giving notice of planned reductions, etc. Check out your union website - they may have guidance on how it should all be done. After the official notification has been issued, there must be a consultation period, thenthe official procedure begins.It maybe that a group of staff can be identified (eg a key stage or all temporary contract holders) They then complete a skills audit which is written by the staff reduction governors (usually 1/2 of the Governing body) Yout HT will then put all the answers into one anonymous document and the commitee decide where to make reductions based on that. There's then the possibility of appeal, etc.
    As far as I am aware, length of service cannot be used as one of the criteria for judging.