1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Enhanced Provisions Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CooperSM, Aug 16, 2018.

1. CooperSM

CooperSM New commenter

Hey all!

This is my 4th year in Year 2 and I've spent my summer thinking over ways to improve my classroom and teaching.
    I'm inspired to include a more play-based approach to learning. My headteacher is very trusting and open-minded and she's given me full reign over my classroom!

Although I'm not brave enough to dive into a continuous provision approach, I want to develop my challenge areas into more play-based.
    I've thought so far about providing a set challenge and including other activities that can also be chosen.

My classroom is very small but I've created a "Reading Challenge Area" which has a small white table and 2 pillows (allowing 2 children to sit at a time) which will include small world toys etc (this can change).
    IMG_7925.JPG

I have an "English Challenge Area" which is a shelf containing Phonics and Writing prompts which children can take to their tables.
    IMG_7930.JPG IMG_7931.jpg

A "Maths Challenge Area" which is also on a shelf containing maths resources which can be taken back to the tables too.
    IMG_7924.JPG IMG_7922.jpg

I have a "book nook" which is an old fireplace which contains books and soft toys. IMG_7691.JPG

I'd love some advice on how to improve these, any ideas, any sites that may be useful and if anyone has done this before could you send me pictures/ideas/advice?

Thank you in advance !
    CooperSM

catbefriender and sunshineneeded like this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Your room looks lovely, mine is still a 'work in progress' and currently looks like a rubbish tip!

If you want a more play-based approach, then look more at your planning than your classroom. I've seen lessons which were nothing like play, but the room was full of lovely areas that never got used. And conversely other lessons where the room was a mass of old fashioned built in cupboards and yet the lessons were full of practical fun.

Play, by definition, tends to be free choice, which is hard to manage in year 2, and some would say not needed. However lessons should incorporate lots of role play, lots of practical work, lots of fun. If you want to have guided writing, do it over two days. So half the class do it one day, with you, while the other half use a role play area or make some models or puppets. Or even go outside if you have another member of staff. Similarly in maths. Do some guided work with some groups, while others play a board game or role play a shop.

Google 'carrying on in KS1' and look at the images of the books. There is a huge series, so may be start with ones you could actually do. (Sand and Water might not be possible.) The series is old, but has lots of ideas which will help. (Buy the second hand copies from Amazon, new ones aren't worth it!)

3. CooperSM

CooperSM New commenter

Thank you so much for your reply!
    We are trying to include many more creative aspects to the curriculum. Lots of hands on activities. I like the idea of splitting the writing over two days. I’m going to look more into how I can plan that.
    Planning is a little more difficult as we are a 4 form school so I’m not just planning for my class but I could adapt for my class :)
    I shall look at the books thank you!

4. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

All I can say @CooperSM is that your classroom looks awesome and your Year 2s are in a terrific academic year.

But please tell me you are putting aside some space for having fun in your summer holidays and it's not all work on making sure your students get to do more play.:)

5. CooperSM

CooperSM New commenter

Thank you!
    Haha yeah, the reason for my late reply has been that I’ve completely stopped myself from doing anything around work the past few weeks :)
    I just want to develop my teaching and approach to learning :)
    Thank you for your kind words. X

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

CooperSM, being firmly established in Year 6 these days, I don't have any practical advice - just want to say your room looks amazing - especially love the Book Nook. If I was a Year 2 child (or a parent) returning in September and walking into that classroom, I would be very excited about the coming year.

7. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Great to hear that. Your greatest gift to your students is yourself at your best.

Yes

Rest helps us be our best.

Go forth and have another awesome year of teaching!:)

8. markhorsey

markhorsey New commenter

After being a year 2 teacher for past 6 years it’s refreshing to hear someone trying a different approach rather than focusing just on Sats. We dramatically improved our literacy through the delivery of the POWER OF READING! Incorporates writing as well as developing love of reading. Maths try keep it as practical as possible. Regardless to fun... just think carefully about your topics find out what children want to learn about. As previous posts have said it not how your classroom look (although it does look impressive) but you as a teacher. If you are having fun so will children in your class