1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Englsih & Maths Skills

Discussion in 'English' started by iqbala11, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Hi
    I have a interview next week and they have asked me to prepare a presentation on the following topic,
    "Recent news reports identify three quarters of employers say that most college leavers have poor English & Maths skills and are unprepared for employment. How would you develop these skills in the curriculum"

Any tips, suggestions or comments are welcomed. (I'll be teaching business studies)

2. Hi
    I have a interview next week and they have asked me to prepare a presentation on the following topic,
    "Recent news reports identify three quarters of employers say that most college leavers have poor English & Maths skills and are unprepared for employment. How would you develop these skills in the curriculum"

Any tips, suggestions or comments are welcomed. (I'll be teaching business studies)

3. Straight away- make sure you check the spelling of "English". Normally, I wouldn't pick up on it but you've mistyped it in the same way on Opinion. Just a matter of reading through.
    Do a search for some of these news reports- see what is being said specifically.
    Think about the skills young people may need in the work place and what they can and cannot do- how would you address that gap?
    Do students have realistic views about employment? Think business in general- they watch shows like The Apprentice, Dragons' Den; films show business often as being glamourous- but do they know what that entails?
    Depending on what level you're interviewing at, you may want to discuss liasion between English and Maths to support skill development across curriculums, or discuss activities you might set in form time. (Eg. Think about the English spoken language SOW- can you use this as a way of addressing presentations, using jargon and appropriate register for their purpose. Maybe even get different groups presenting to different people (new client, their boss, colleagues, prospective employees) and the rest of the class analysing and assessing how well they manage this.)
    Look at the English and Maths curriculums- what gaps are there? How would you "plug" these in your subject?