1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English y5 Optionals

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tm1234, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Is it just me - but do others find the year 5 Optional Test in English (2006) produces strange levels. in particulat I find that the levels are very highly over-inflated compared to my teacher assessment.
    ...Of course, maybe I'm just very mean in my teacher assessment?

2. Is it just me - but do others find the year 5 Optional Test in English (2006) produces strange levels. in particulat I find that the levels are very highly over-inflated compared to my teacher assessment.
    ...Of course, maybe I'm just very mean in my teacher assessment?

3. I find the writing always comes out really high because I don't include spellings during routine, half-termly tests. The added spelling scores drive my levels up significantly as we tend to have good spellers in the top set. My reading levels were high, but mostly accurate.

4. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

We found that the writing comes out far too high. So much so that we don't use the mark scheme anymore we level it ourselves, then moderate as a key stage.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We don't use the yr 5 optional any more as the results are way out in both reading and writing, we use an old yr 6 paper which I find much more useful!

6. cricketgirl

cricketgirl New commenter

I agree with you, CarrieV. We now use old Year 6 papers at the end of Year 5 to act as a benchmark for their start in Year 6.