1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English writing assessment Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by xhelen1989x, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    I am an NQT and started in January and have been told I need to do a writing assessment with my children. They need to do a piece of writing in a given time for me to assess and level.
    I was thinking it may be tricky and many would go blank if I asked them to free write about anything so it may be best to provide guidance like on a practice paper which provides the context and some characters to use for the story.
    I've had a look but can't find any past SATS writing papers for Year two or 7+ papers. What do people think would be a good context to give Year 2 children to start their story?

Many thanks!

2. Hi there,
    I am an NQT and started in January and have been told I need to do a writing assessment with my children. They need to do a piece of writing in a given time for me to assess and level.
    I was thinking it may be tricky and many would go blank if I asked them to free write about anything so it may be best to provide guidance like on a practice paper which provides the context and some characters to use for the story.
    I've had a look but can't find any past SATS writing papers for Year two or 7+ papers. What do people think would be a good context to give Year 2 children to start their story?

Many thanks!

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I'm sure your school will have past papers for year 2... My school has a cabinet full of them... But I probably wouldn't use that anyway as they're pretty dry.. Teachers tv have some nice clips for 'story starts' if you want totally independent... You'd probs have to get it off youtube these days.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not sure what your school are expecting from you, but I have year 2 and we did independent writing last week. We spent a week learning about a fairytale and then they followed the same storyline, but changed the characters and settings. They made puppets to show the story and told it to a friend. Then on Friday they wrote their story. My class are weird and freaky but they wrote for about an hour quietly and purposefully (I was expecting about 20 mins!).

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Have you seen the 2007 or 2009 papers you will be using with your class this year?
    http://www.devonldp.org/do_download.asp?did=8249
    http://www.devonldp.org/do_download.asp?did=8248
    They won't be given the type of guidance you are suggesting

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I know, but I did start the post by saying I don't know what the school are expecting.

We have lots of pieces of APP suitable work. The pieces all have different types of input and guidance and so we can mark of different strands from different pieces. Not sure I totally think this is perfectly correct, but it is what we do in our school for APP assessments.

SATs are a different beast altogether. By the time we get there, the children will have had all kinds of inputs for all kinds of tasks and so be able to manage the test with only the allowed help. Or that is the apparent theory...

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

minnie I was replying to the OP not to you sorry for confusion

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ohhhhhh but it was equally relevant to my post. And I'm being sensitive today...I'll be better soon! :)