1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English tutor role

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Blue_y, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Blue_y

Blue_y New commenter

Hi all,

I am hoping to leave full time teaching once I have had my baby next March and am looking for some more flexible working to fit around my family life once baby is here, but I am hoping to start slowly now.

I have previously tutored GCSE students privately before, but that was only one or two students at my old school- nothing 'business' worthy.

I'm hoping to start a more formal business where I can tutor students/ adults throughout the day or in the evenings, but I am thinking of also offering services such as CV writing, help with job applications, editing assignments (not doing them, just proof reading!) but I am not really sure how to market this or what I would 'sell' my role as?

If anyone has any generic ideas of how I can possibly start up I really would appreciate it. I am rushing away typing this between lessons, so apologies for any errors- I can assure my future clients I do have a good grasp of the English language!

Thank you all.

2. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs New commenter

You could try looking at some of the tutor profiles on tutoring websites. It may give you some ideas.

3. dadaomangran

dadaomangran New commenter

I am very interested, but I am not sure if you are experienced in tutoring preschool children. the work time is from 18:00 to 21:00 on weekdays and the whole weekend.

4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Start small. Work up! Get good references from your first customers...remember there is usually a friend with kids the same sort of age, or younger siblings. Invest in preparing resources you can reuse each week with different kids. I only do one to one. I only do online with older kids. A lot of students have EAL needs which may not be familiar to you. Decide whether you want to go down the academic route, the EAL primary route or just GCSE. Not much A level about where I am and I would not do much anyway as there are far too many books to read for one hour a week! Sad but pragmatic!

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Talk to your local library - my library has a job club where they do things like CV writing. My library paid its tutors.

6. PeterDrake1000

PeterDrake1000 New commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

7. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

8. Kateray1

Kateray1 New commenter

I tutor English and it is my only income, I work part time at the moment but trying increase this slightly.

Good advice to start small I had 1 student for adult English at first now I have 7 currently all at different ages and ability.

I do individual learning plans for all mine and there are no similar students so all resources are taylored to need.

Hoping to increase resources as I earn more.

9. SelectMyTutor

SelectMyTutor New commenter

If you want to make a career in teaching or writing field, then connect profile with teaching or freelance job sites. There is a huge scope in both field but communication skills should be clear and easy to understand for others. Search online about sites.

10. NoSuchThingAsNormal

NoSuchThingAsNormal New commenter

Ha, your communication skills are very poor. If English is not your first language, get an adult to check it over. That way you do not appear incompetent.

11. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

The poster's username is actually a tutoring website. If it was intended to be a sneaky attempt to bypass the rules and advertise their website I think it has rather backfired.