1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English texts for SEN teens? Mainly boys!

Discussion in 'English' started by rer, Jan 11, 2010.

1. rer

rer

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for suitable English texts for my SEN class. They're yr 7 but have reading ages from 5 to 15 and a range of comprehension issues and behavioural difficulties. I am looking for texts we can enjoy as a group, that are accessible but will interest/amuse them. I generally read the text to them (they do read small amounts when appropriate) and we use the plot/characters as the basis for extension and literacy work. We have really enjoyed Fantastic Mr Fox and I want to use Danny The Champion . . next. I plan to move onto Buddy in yr8 but I need ideas for the rest of yr7 and I'm really struggling! Previous texts and work are simply not suitable. Any suggestions gratefully recieved!
    Thanks

2. Hi, I have a similar set of boys, and this year I bought in Cirque Du Freak for the lower ability groups. It's been a great move! It's very accessible and the lads have loved it. They have responded to the text with excellent work, particularly with their creative writing. There is a SOW available if you search on the net, but there are loads of things you can do with this.
    Good luck

3. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

David Belibin has written a series of books (The Beat) which are aimed specifically at teenagers with very low reading ages. They're accessible but the stories really are good - the only thing is that I'm not sure whether or not they are in print. They are about a group of young police officers encountering crimes as they work.
    I wonder if Anthony Horowitz would be too hard: possibly, but may be worth a try?

4. gingerella

gingerella New commenter

I'd certainly agree with using Cirque du Freak, I have always found it works brilliantly with boys especially SEN. I also use Skulduggery Pleasant very successfully with SEN pupils and Michael Morpurgo's Beowulf always goes down a storm!

5. Hi. With understanding, I suggest any of the short Horowitz stories - The Falcon's Malteser, South by South East, etc or the fatter versions in parts or any of the Robert Muchamore series on the Cherub underground young spies or Charlie Higson's James Bond series. Good luck and patience
    Catherine.

6. molly0967

molly0967 New commenter

Hi
    I have a small Year 7 group of 5 boys 3 girls, reading ages vary from 6.8 to 8.4-desperately need reading material for them-school library has nothing really suitable-would Cirque du Freak be good do you think? What sort of work have you done based on it-they are poor writing wise too
    Thanks

7. In reply to another post about Cirque du Freak - the best activity I did with them was adapted from a SOW where they had to describe their own freak. I extended this to include describing the freak's, with something going 'wrong' - as in the book itself. The boys went for this wholesale, produding very imaginative extended writing, that really moved their skills on. We had a ball and are going to put our own book together. How about Shadow Man that can send his shadow out to smother the audience and make them melt..... WONDERFUL and that was a from a boy with quite specific SEN needs! I love this book!

8. You can also get a Darren Shan Graphic Novel done in a Manga style.
    I have found the reluctant boy readers in my class (S1 - age 12/13) are fighting over who gets to read this next. I am now going to do a graphic novel project with the whole class as a result of their interest. I know there is a second Manga Darren Shan coming out and a Horowitz graphic novel too.
    And I find 'Holes' always goes down well too!

9. Hi,
    I also teach a sen class (mainly boys) who all tell me that 'hate' reading! I am hoping to trial some kind of reward system just to try and encourage them initially to read a book from our school 'reading system' which are teen' books but at pivats level. Has anybody tried a reward system before that worked in their class and could recommend it?Thanks

10. Hi, I am on a mad hnt for skulduggery pleasant ideas / plans and have found several comments, like yours , that say it is good for EBD / SEN boys.. I have a KS3 EBD class of boys and Skulduggery Pleasant is our book for this term... I've searched everywhere nd cannot find anyone who has taught it before :( So any plans / ideas you could share would be FAB!!!!

Thanks!!! (please email to kt6382@hotmail.com)

11. I have some ideas you might like to cast your eyes over which are specifically aimed at SEN boys. Please get in touch. gbhsch at gmail dot com.

12. Have you looked at the barrington stoke books?

www.barringtonstoke.co.uk