1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

English Teaching

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by steffanapsion, Nov 2, 2017.

  1. steffanapsion

    steffanapsion New commenter

    I have a PGCSE in Religious Education but have plenty of experience teaching English in schools (KS3, KS4, EBSD). I know that someone in the local German authority have questioned me being qualified to teach English because my PGCSE is in Religious Studies (though I have an MA in Literature). How can I address this issue?

    Thank you
  2. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    I would address this issue by not working in Germany. In the ME and the Far East, schools usually provide teachers with either an apartment or an accommodation allowance, so Germany is not on my "to do" list.

    Another helpful point might be that most international schools are fee-paying i.e. private schools, so on the whole local authorities tend to leave them alone. I doubt whether many local officials here in Shenzhen have even heard of a PGCSE.
  3. gulfgolf

    gulfgolf Established commenter

    Address what with whom? If the local authority wishes to question whether you qualify for a particular job or visa, they will contact you with details. Until that point, it seems unlikely you could do anything.
    If I had a pound for every time someone questioned my qualifications....
  4. makhnovite

    makhnovite Established commenter

    But then gulfers you did get your quals from the Mickey Mouse University of Disneyworld, California! Just kidding!!!!

Share This Page