1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English teachers - FCE/CAE/CPE

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tb9605, Oct 4, 2017.

1. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Dear colleagues

Do any of you currently teach the Cambridge First Certificate, Advanced and/or Proficiency exams alongside GCSEs/A levels/IB? If so I have a few questions:

1. Do you use a coursebook? If so, which and what do you think of it?

2. Is expecting students to be able to take the Proficiency exam in Year 12 a reasonable expectation?

3. Do you find that preparing students for these exams (FCE/CAE) also helps to equip them with the necessary skills for GCSE English, or is it a distraction which leaves them under-prepared?

4. When compared to the IGCSE English as a Second Language, would you say the FCE: is a) easier/harder b)less/more useful?

I'd very much appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

[Context: I've previously taught the FCE, CAE and CPE exams, but not in a school setting. I never had teenagers in my CPE classes - it was always adults. I'm now in an international setting where students are offered these exams, but no/little time is currently given on the curriculum to prepare students for them.]