1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English teacher who would like to teach PE

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by Calibos, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Calibos

Calibos New commenter

Hi all.

I have been teaching for almost 6 years now and during that time period I have managed some football teams, helped out with athletics, rugby and netball. Sport has always been a huge passion of mine and I was wondering what qualifications it would take for me to re-invent myself as someone who teaches PE as well. Obviously I have a PGCE already so that would not come in to it. Would I just need an A Level in Sports Science or something like that? If someone could let me know that would be really appreciated - especially if you have done something similar and re-invented yourself.

Thank you in anticipation.

Mick.

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Before you undertake this, you need to realise that to be an effective PE teacher you will need more than experience of taking a few teams, helping with a few others and a passion for sport.
    Do you feel capable of potentially teaching football, rugby, athletics (all events), gymnastics, basketball plus possibly swimming,, table tennis, trampolining, badminton, tennis, volleyball?
    It's a big ask to be able to do this. In addition the 'way of teaching' PE is an art in itself - managing large groups both indoors and outdoors, looking at and assessing situations quickly and giving quick responses and advice.
    With KS4 and 5 do you have enough understanding of anatomy, physiology, principles of training, analysis of performance ect to teach GCSE and A level
    Of course there are many who will say all we do is chuck them a ball and tell them to get on with it, but fortunately the days of KES have far gone in most places.
    My understanding oof the current UK situation is that there are lots of unemployed, young, good PE teachers looking for work already.
    From what you have said it might be better to continue as you are or maybe move to a job in the Independant sector.