1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English subject leader management time

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bumblingbee, Mar 12, 2017.

1. bumblingbee

bumblingbee New commenter

A question for any of you who are English subject leaders.

How much management time do you get? I am struggling to get my action plan done with the time I have and was wondering if I'm really inefficient or just don't have enough time out of of class. Beginning to crack under the strain...

2. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

None whatsoever. Just the standard PPA time. If I need to wander around lessons or phonics sessions to see what's happening, I'll arrange cover. That's about it. I'm sure if I asked for a bit of extra time here and there though, I'd get it. My head is pretty good with things like that. Deep down though, I guess the reason I haven't asked for it is that I'd far rather be in my own class teaching English.

3. bumblingbee

Thanks whitestag. Are you expected to do monitoring, learning walks etc?

4. whitestag

Yes I do a walkthrough roughly once a term, I'll have a look at the phonics and then spend about 5 minutes in each class chatting to one or two children and having a look at their work. It's not intrusive or judgemental on my colleagues but it gives me a good idea of standards and progress. I'll then feed back at the next staff meeting but that's very much a general discussion about English and if staff need to raise any concerns.

In terms of time, I'll just ask for my class to be covered for an hour so I can do the monitoring, but I'll leave work for them to do.

In terms of time to complete paperwork, we've managed to lighten our marking policy recently which has had a massive effect on staff having the time to focus on other things. Could you consider that as a staff?

5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

If you feel you require additional release time, I would advise you to go to your SLT with a plan. This should include what activities you intend to undertake, what outcomes you are hoping for, how this furthers your School Development Plan and how much time you need. If it is well-considered, I find it highly unlikely they will say no.

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Ours get an afternoon out. All members of SLT (the English lead isn't on SLT) get a day out a week (inc PPA) as do the Maths and English leads.

7. mrcooldude

mrcooldude Occasional commenter

I'm lucky enough to get a morning but I know this is a rare privilege.

8. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

We have 2, each gets an afternoon per week. We are a big school, and in an ofsted category partially due to poor English results, so this may have an influence on the time given! It went up drastically following the ofsted report. Subject leaders are expected to check planning And books every half term, learning walks or observations every half term, lead staff meetings, meet LA advisors, report (verbally and written) to governors and support weaker teachers so it's a big job.

Starsarah likes this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Neither our English or Maths leaders get anything extra. But then again they aren't expected to do a huge amount of monitoring, there is a good amount of trust in our school.
    If they need extra time for this or that, then they get it...and as we cover among ourselves we take their classes. Sounds terrible, but it is nice to see what they plan for their classes and we all get more than the standard PPA anyway.

whitestag likes this.
  10. whitestag

Listening to children read is a good way of monitoring as well. It's very telling and you can gain a good idea of the progress in half an hour.

11. whitestag

I think that's the key. If your results are good and the progress in the classes looks fine, you can get by with 'light touch' monitoring. If your results are poor or you have those nice people at Ofsted breathing down your necks, you may need to be more formal and intense with it.

12. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

Neither Maths or English get any extra time in our school.

13. bumblingbee

Thanks all for your responses. English is an issue in our school so there is a lot to do. I was told by a school improvement advisor that my action plan was the biggest they'd ever seen but it's difficult to see where anything could be cut.

I think I need to have a full and frank discussion with my head about the time needed to carry out this action plan. We may need CPR on standby!

14. whitestag

Yes that's exactly what I would do. If English is an issue, you need to get your teeth into it and find out why. First thing I'd do is secure a weekly time slot for working on it. Action plans are good but be sharp with your focus. Identify exactly what needs improving, reading, spelling etc and focus all your activity on these in the short term. Keep your Head informed.

15. bumblingbee

Thanks whitestag. A weekly time slot would be ideal but unlikely. I currently get 2-3 afternoons a half term but these are often eaten up by other issues and it can be difficult to get that time back. I need to be more forthright I suppose

16. whitestag

Couple of tips on that:
    Make a very strong case for why you need the time, backed up with evidence.
    Offer to leave cover work for your class.
    During your time for working on your action plan, be ruthless. Hide, if necessary.

17. bumblingbee

Tips noted! It's difficult to hide in our school though. The only place without kids in it is the caretaker's broom cupboard.
    Thank you.

18. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

In a one form entry school, our English and Maths leaders get 1.5 hours per week for their subjects in addition to PPA.

19. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Both our Literacy and Numeracy coordinators and the SENCO share the management time slots that we provide.usually it works out a morning or afternoon.

20. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Ditto ...once a term I focus on hearing readers across the school and chatting to children about their writing (while looking through books) and moderating across partner schools