1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English speakers but not readers help?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by potatogirl, Apr 14, 2011.

1. I have a new girl in my class. She speaks English perfectly and her mum is english. However she has been educted in Spain and so her written English and especially reading is very poor for her age.
    any suggestions please>

2. I have a new girl in my class. She speaks English perfectly and her mum is english. However she has been educted in Spain and so her written English and especially reading is very poor for her age.
    any suggestions please>

3. inq

inq

What year group is she?
    Label everything about the classroom so that words immediately have a context. Talk to the reception/ Y1 teachers about how they teach phonics and borrow some of their resources. I'm sure she will soon catch up, I presume she can read and write in Spanish.

4. If she is in Year 5 or 6 go to www.schoolwork.bz and use the entry code ure321ty
    She will be able use the library resource to prepare readign texts and then routinely pracitce reading them to an adult or to her table group. If she is Y6 should could also use the Dictation resource. If she is younger than I can't help. Sorry.

5. brilliant thanks everyone for your comments. very valuable, here goes...