1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English revision day - suggestions/resources?

Discussion in 'English' started by cheerysocks, May 15, 2009.

1. cheerysocks

cheerysocks New commenter

bare in mind that pselingl olyn cuntos fro **** of inen mrksa on scteion B

2. lizgaskell

lizgaskell New commenter

Hi there
    Just had a revision morning where I taught my Eng and Lit class for 3 LIT revison lessons. First 40 mins on Mice and Men, then I had them all make revision cards for the 12 Key Poems. Did this by setting up tables/folders/resources and students revising a poem before moving on to the next- most managed around 6 poems and have a handy revision tool which they can add to at the weekend. (If they can fit it in between Maths!)
    I didn't want it to too much teacher talk and they left feeling more confident and with a clear focus on what they can do to help themselves.
    Maybe you could do something like this for POC?
    By the way- also have an English after school club and we have made great use of the swine flu ads,the shameful behaviour of our MPs and charity ads for paper One revison- got them to write their own charity ad- practice for reading and writing. They loved this!

Liz

3. A new English revision mag from Teachit is out for GCSE - see issue 1
    free in digital glory here
    https://asp-gb.secure-zone.net/v2/index.jsp?id=795/998/2198&lng=en.
    Would love feedback

4. Wow! I'm impressed. Looks fantastic and there's some very engaging content there.
    Great stuff!

5. We do CIE IGCSE English first language, so it's a bit different to GCSE, but one of the things I really wanted the class to focus on was the use of a wide range of sentences styles.
    My Y11s enjoyed a lesson based on a teachit resource, where we used "Humpty Dumpty" to vary sentences, by starting with time connectives (later..the next day...the following evening..a few moments passed before.....)

¨...............and then having a go at these:
    Present Participle: Feeling rather tired, Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall.
    Infinitive Verb form: To get a better look at the match, Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall.
    Adjectival phrase: A trouble-maker from the start, Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall.
    Adverbial phrase: With the king's men rapidly approaching, Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall.
    Adverb: Patiently, Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall.
    We covered a range of skills, played about with the sentences, worked in pairs, fours, read them aloud, use a thesaurus. Some of the answers were really funny and everyone was completely engaged in the lesson.
    Then they looked at some examples of their own writing, and remodelled sentences using the ideas covered in the lesson. This was for our alternative to coursework paper, but could be adapted to get students to redraft their coursework, too.

6. sentences styles

Sorry. sentence styles. [​IMG]

7. There have been enquiries about teaching in prisons, special needs, classroom, support etc, and masha's reaction is always the same. At least this time she hasn't pasted reams of stuff.
    Please, English teachers, don't send your Y11s to this website. (Or anyone else, for that matter) ............Unless you want them to spell really badly and be encouraged to do so.

8. ceehorse

ceehorse New commenter

Another revision idea is to guide them through a question (poetry for example). Then, get them to plan the response using quotes. Give them an answer to the task (huge sigh of relief from the class!!) then assess it using the grade criteria. You can get exampes off the AQA website under exemplar material.(Old syllabus). The other exam boards provbably have examples too.