1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English resits - students who can't access GCSE?

Discussion in 'English' started by jta3, Jun 30, 2017.

1. jta3

jta3 New commenter

Hi - wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction here? I understand there is a legal requirement to teach English (and Maths) to age 18. Does anyone have experience of students going into year 12 who simply cannot access the full GCSE? Are there qualifications we can offer that give these students a chance to achieve something, and which also fulfil this requirement?

Thanks in advance

2. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

My understanding is that if they have a grade D or 3 in GCSE English they will have to resit GCSE. Those with an E or 2 will have to do functional skills (step up to English AQA). Once they have gained FS they have to progress to GCSE. That is how it works with us.
    I have students in their twenties who have failed 4, 5, 6 times.

Urbanfaerie and tall tales like this.
  3. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

4. gogogulliver

gogogulliver New commenter

FE English teacher here. We do something similar. We've had students work up from Entry 2 to go on to GCSE. We've also had people come in functionally illiterate after years at school. It happens. Some people just aren't in the right mindset at school or as teenagers or just don't learn in a schooly way but catch up later in a change of environment (often smaller classes help).

pepper5 likes this.
  5. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

6. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

Same here (SEN FE)

I don't know about AQA, but we're with City and Guilds with Functional Skills. There's also a progression award called 'English skills and maths skills' they do, which is a booklet of activities rather than an exam.

7. wassurfbabe

wassurfbabe New commenter

What about if they get a 3 in Lang but a 4 in Lit? The link here, when you read down, seems to suggest that it is either...

Students who already hold at least a C grade in any one of the English qualifications listed below meet the condition of funding and therefore do not need to continue to study English:

GCSE English

GCSE English Language

GCSE English Language and Literature

GCSE English Literature

English literature GCSE grade C or above meets the condition of funding for the purpose of recognising prior attainment only. However students with no prior attainment equivalent to GCSE A* to C cannot take English literature or joint English language and literature qualifications to meet the condition of funding.

8. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

It is either. A Grade 4 in either English Language or English Literature means students don't have to resit (though some institutions will make them resit – these students don't count in the post-16 league table measurements). However, students that do resit must take English Language, not English Literature.