1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English qualified teacher trained in France

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by cathiejayakumar, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I'm a qualified English teacher trained in France. I am now sending all the documents needed to the GTC so I can get an equivalence by having the QTS, and teach in England
    I have some questions:
    1) Will I be able to teach English literature to British students, or do I have to seek jobs as a teacher of English as an additional language?
    1) I would also like to teach English and other subjects to disable children or special needs. What do I need to do?
    Many thanks in advance

2. Hello,
    I'm a qualified English teacher trained in France. I am now sending all the documents needed to the GTC so I can get an equivalence by having the QTS, and teach in England
    I have some questions:
    1) Will I be able to teach English literature to British students, or do I have to seek jobs as a teacher of English as an additional language?
    1) I would also like to teach English and other subjects to disable children or special needs. What do I need to do?
    Many thanks in advance

3. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I very much doubt you'll be considered for a job teaching English simply because there are plenty of native speakers in Britain with British qualifications and a PGCE who can't find a job. You would be more likely to find a job as a French teacher and even then, MFL is not particularly popular at the moment. you do not say how much experience you have, that will also make a difference but your lack of familiarity with the National Curriculum will count against you.
    The glory days of walking into teaching jobs in Britain are over, it is the wrong time to think of moving there, especially if you already have a job. Think again about going and read some of the comments from other OTTs and the Behaviour forum to get a true picture of teaching in Britain. British pupils are not like French ones, believe me....