1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

English qualification/teaching in Scotland

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by guineastar, Jul 30, 2020 at 4:03 PM.

  1. guineastar

    guineastar New commenter


    I have an MA in History from Edinburgh Uni and a History PGCE from Manchester Uni. I have spent the last few years primarily teaching English (with a bit of R.E/PSHE/Geography) both in England and abroad.

    I am hoping (next year) to find work in and move back to Edinburgh. I have a few questions:

    Can I apply for roles in English or does it have to be in my PGCE subject?
    Can I apply before registering with the GSTC?
    Where can I find out about the main differences in the curriculum/assessment so I can prepare?

  2. Marisha

    Marisha Occasional commenter

    Have a look at the GTCS website for more info. I'd say that you'll probably have to register for History first. You might be able to add English later. You really need to check with the GTCS, however. My recollection is that you need to have studied English for two years at university before you can teach it in Scotland and the requirement for candidates who have trained in Scotland is that you teach your PGCE subject first.

    There's nothing to stop you applying for jobs, but no state school will take you on until you're registered. I was once on an interview panel where a candidate was not registered. I was the interviewer who spotted that there was no mention of it on the application form. The senior interviewer's response was: 'Oh, but they won't have applied if they're not registered...

    During the interview, the senior interviewer asked whether they were registered. They weren't even considered for the post.

    Look at the SQA website for information about senior courses.
    guineastar likes this.
  3. guineastar

    guineastar New commenter

    Thanks for the response. I studied English for 2 years (with History) before switching in 3rd year to pure History so that is a lucky coincidence. I'll check out the website now.
    Marisha likes this.
  4. bonxie

    bonxie Lead commenter

    I'd suggest following Marisha's advice then start looking for jobs on:

    The Scottish Education system: https://education.gov.scot/education-scotland/scottish-education-system/

    Curriculum for Excellence information can be found here:

    Assessment in the Senior Phase:

    National Qualifications:
    Marisha likes this.
  5. BillyBobJoe

    BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

    You might be able to get a temporary English post (maternity leave, for example) but you can't be appointed to a permanent post in a subject you're not registered for. Whether you can be registered for both right away would be up to the GTCS, but in my case they only registered me for my PGCE subject initially, though I'm now registered in my second subject too.
    Marisha likes this.
  6. Marisha

    Marisha Occasional commenter

    That's a good point: it's true that someone registered for another subject might be able to get a supply post if a school can't get a registered English teacher.

    Doing supply would be a good way of getting a foot in the door.
    bonxie likes this.

Share This Page