1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English Progress 8 Measure

Discussion in 'English' started by install, Sep 29, 2016.

1. install

install Star commenter

Yes the 'system is broken' I completely agree. Creative subjects are suffering already and schools are 'handcuffed' by having to do certain qualifications.

2. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

I think we all agree with that point @MrMedia.

Students should be able to make choices on the subjects they study based on what they wish to do in the future NOT be restricted by Progress 8 'pots'.

MrMedia likes this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

And indeed the 'handcuffs' placed on schools by double weighting some subjects..

4. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

No, we don't because you will not accept facts.

I, correctly, stated that there is no rule forcing students to sit a GCSE.

You, incorrectly, stated that there is a rule forcing students to sit GCSEs.

The fact that 5% of students don't sit GCSEs perfectly proves that students don't have to sit them. Because 5% don't. And there is no concquence of this.

The fact that 95% of students sit GCSEs does show that they are encouraged to, but does not show that they have to.

I am quite happy to disagree (or agree, of course) with you on points of opinion, but you keep on trying to say I am wrong when I state facts. For the sake of other users on this forum, I am keen to make sure facts are clear.

As you have probably noticed, most of my posts on this forum are factual. This is why many users – you included – have private messaged me for clarification about rules etc. I originally started posting on this forum to assist people struggle to get to grips with the GCSEs that were new in 2012.

I do sometimes give opinions, but would never stop someone giving theirs.

You appear to wish to discourage me from stating facts by constantly and incorrectly contradicting them.

For the sake of clarity, I reiterate again: there is no rule that any KS4 student has to take any GCSE.

snail_friendly likes this.
  5. CandysDog

Yes, I do agree that league tables are distorting and I don't like them at all.

Having said that, I do think that this system is better than the previous one.

snail_friendly likes this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

As already stated - it is best to 'agree to disagree'...but thankyou for your input CandysDog..

7. CandysDog

Okay. I agree that verifiable facts are true. You disagree that verifiable facts are true. Sorted.

8. install

install Star commenter

[QUTE="CandysDog, post: 11853731, member: 2349256"]Okay. I agree that verifiable facts are true. You disagree that verifiable facts are true. Sorted.[/QUOTE]

Again - lets agree to disagree...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  9. TessDurbeyfield

TessDurbeyfield New commenter

We get 9 hours a fortnight for English (5 Lit, 4 Lang) and maths get 7.

QUOTE="install, post: 11843627, member: 527817"]I can see your points - but it doesn't add up.

ONE Maths GCSE - Doubled- I repeat just ONE GCSE ??? Not the best of two like English ...

And it s easier to focus on ONE GCSE rather than two.

And Maths in many schools still gets the same time as English -how unfair is that???[/QUOTE]

10. TessDurbeyfield

TessDurbeyfield New commenter

4 in 2017: 5 in 2018 unless it changes. Re-sits for all who get 4 or lower in 2018.
    Uni websites are saying 4 for admission at moment be interesting to see if that moves to 5 when measures change. It is farcical as is the 46% that will get 5+ next summer.

11. install

install Star commenter

Wow - that is fair TessDurbeyfield

'We get 9 hours a fortnight for English (5 Lit, 4 Lang) and maths get 7.'

And much more like it.

12. CandysDog

I believe the plan is for Grade 4 to be considered good enough not to have to resit in 2018 too, but for this to be raised to Grade 5 in 2019.

As you note, unless the pass rate rises dramatically (unlikely under Ofqual), then about half of all students will be resitting, which sounds like a logistical nightmare.

I agree that it's a bit of a mess, with the Government only considering Grade 5+ a good pass, but many others sticking with the old Grade C equivalent of Grade 4 (for now, at least).

Given the (eventual) direction of travel does seem to be towards only Grade 5 and above being considered a real pass, my school is going to insist on all students without a Grade 9–5 resitting in our sixth form. We're going to have to put on more classes (with, of course, no extra funding to do this). Given these students will be competing for jobs etc. with others a couple of years younger than them (who have had to resit to get Grade 5s), we think this is the right decision.

13. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

We've been informed that our local colleges will only accept Grade 5+ in English Language for all Level 3 course!