1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English planning from scratch :(

Discussion in 'English' started by Danielle1988, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Hi there, I am a year 5/6 teacher looking for some inspiration. My next English topic is novels or short stories selected from more than one genre. The topic should cover reading a range of fiction texts from different genres and looking at characteristics of each.
    Does anyone have any ideas or popular textx as to which fiction texts would be good to do with year 5/6 from different genres? The texts also need to be quite short.
    Any help would be greatly appreicated :)

2. Hi there, I am a year 5/6 teacher looking for some inspiration. My next English topic is novels or short stories selected from more than one genre. The topic should cover reading a range of fiction texts from different genres and looking at characteristics of each.
    Does anyone have any ideas or popular textx as to which fiction texts would be good to do with year 5/6 from different genres? The texts also need to be quite short.
    Any help would be greatly appreicated :)

3. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

Look on the Standards website, novels.

4. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

I'm teaching a short story called "The Black Cat" by Edgar Allen Poe (Horror) and also "Through the Tunnel" (Adventure) by Doris Lessing which are both popular texts with resources available (although my activities are all in hard copy).
    I am using a particuarly good short stories collection by Longman "Stories Old and New". Found it gathering dust at the back of the book store!

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Oh please don't do Poe in primary. Leave us something that'll be new to them in Secondary.

6. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Good luck with doing Poe even if they're super-G&T.

Mind you, they're probably "doing" Poe like, as one of my Year 9 sets said, "oh we did Macbeth in Year 6, sir". Of course, I didn't doubt their word, but when I checked the KS2 league tables and saw that their feeder schools were completely in line with the LEA average for NC levels in English, I decided that I'd be ok with forcing them to slog through a text which they'd clearly studied in rigorous detail three years earlier...

7. Varjak Paw by S F Said - wonderful story about a Mesopatamian blue kitten who has extraordinary adventures
    The Garbage King by Elizabeth Laird - set in Ethiopa, about street children
    Fire, Bed and Bone by Hentietta Branford - set in England, 1300s (plague and uprising, if I remember right) historical novel told through the eyes of a dog
    They're not short but are worth a look.

8. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

I decided that I'd be ok with forcing them to slog through a text which they'd clearly studied in rigorous detail three years earlier...
    [​IMG]

9. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Wouldn't The Black Cat be a bit upsetting for younger children? Or am I being over sensitive?
    I wouldn't teach it to a younger group than Year 9 to be honest.

10. Not if they can deal with Macbeth!