1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English: Planning for ks3

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Mistabee, Jul 27, 2011.

1. First H.O.D. for English and only taught ks4 & ks5 for last 3 years so a bit rusty on ks3. Do I stick to national strategies when writing the Programme of Study for ks3, or roam free given that a) I'm at an Academy and b) the new 'national curriculum' for English is (reportedly) under review and thus not published yet? Advice heartily appreciated...

2. First H.O.D. for English and only taught ks4 & ks5 for last 3 years so a bit rusty on ks3. Do I stick to national strategies when writing the Programme of Study for ks3, or roam free given that a) I'm at an Academy and b) the new 'national curriculum' for English is (reportedly) under review and thus not published yet? Advice heartily appreciated...

3. Hi Mistabee,

Clearly, as an academy you can roam free, but as you still have to provide a "broad and balanced curriculum" I'd suggest using what's already been done as a basis for development. I doubt that the new curriculum will be radically different, and the National Strategy was a way of delivering the curriculum, not the curriculum itself. (Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious for you, but I've worked with many who are under the impression that the Strategy is the curriculum).
    Anyway, I'd start with the overview of the current National Curriculum for KS3, referring back to see how this builds on KS2 to get the progression, then use the Strategy framework & resources as a basis for developing your bespoke schemes. Whilst the Strategies had a lot of bad press for being too prescriptive, much of the stuff was sound and useful if used well.
    Also - reflect on what KS4/5 need and build up to it in KS3. Sounds obvious, but the two are often seen as separate enities.

Hope that helps.