1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English PGCE Interview

Discussion in 'English' started by spou7317, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Hi there

I have an interview to do a PGCE at leeds and just wondered if anyone could help me with the type of questions that came up for them?

Thanks

2. Hi there

I have an interview to do a PGCE at leeds and just wondered if anyone could help me with the type of questions that came up for them?

Thanks

3. Hi You need to have a really clear reason why you want to teach - No flannel! Also I talked about my passion for certain areas in English (my subject) and this piqued their interest a lot, so you should definitely talk in-depth about which parts of your subject you personally enjoy.
    Hope this helps...

Philip.

4. I occassionally help with interviews, at another univeristy, and the most common questions are related to:
    • Why you want to teach
    • You feelings about your subject
    • Your subject knowledge - be aware of your strenghts and your weaknesses
    • Your recent reading (especially for English)
    • Your experience of school- were you inspired by anyone? As a pupil, what did you think made a good teacher?
    • Your observation - if you have done it.
    • Recent changes to the subject (might be an idea to have a quick look at some examboard websites)
    Hope that helps, good luck.

5. I was asked how I would deal with difficult students - move seats, send out etc
    Also what would I do to get a group of disinterested boys into a pre-1914 text like Dracula. Mind went blank and couldn't even remember a pre-1914 text so waffled until they helped me out with Dracula. Tip, if you don't understand or your mind goes blank then tell the interviewer. Better to ask than look silly. GOOD LUCK

6. I had to do a presentation on a book of my choice - they has some specific topics that I had to refer to. I chose The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and I think I had to talk about what age group it would appeal to, what issues it covered that might appeal to kids etc. We didn't have a group discussion but these are common at teaching interviews. Make sure you do a bit of reading on some educational issues. Watch out for questions like what poem/text would you choose to teach to .....(insert various year groups) and why?

7. Hi just wondering if there were any particular resources you used to explain choosing 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time'? I have my English PGCE interview soon and I happen to have chosen the same text to teach as you, I have a few resources on the text that I have found but there doesn't seem to be much help out there! Thanks :)

8. I'm afraid I'm not going to be a lot of help as it was 4 years ago so my memory of it is quite vague! I looked for the powerpoint but could not find it.

The book has obvious links to Aspergers and also it explores the impending split of his parents from his perspective. I think I talked about some children would be able to relate to this.

Sorry I can't be of much help!