1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English PGCE interview

Discussion in 'English' started by jomarise, Feb 27, 2008.

1. I have an interview this week for PGCE secondry English at Swansea Metropolitan Uni. My degree is is Archaeology (although the minor was in english) As a mature student I have absolutely no idea what to expect - can anyone give me any tips.

I have been asked to look into the current issues facing teachers, and the English curriculum and how it is changing. Any advice appreciated.

Thank you

2. I have an interview this week for PGCE secondry English at Swansea Metropolitan Uni. My degree is is Archaeology (although the minor was in english) As a mature student I have absolutely no idea what to expect - can anyone give me any tips.

I have been asked to look into the current issues facing teachers, and the English curriculum and how it is changing. Any advice appreciated.

Thank you

3. greeneyes

greeneyes New commenter

Well, the curriculum is changing so you'd best go on the website to look at curriculum 2008.

Issues facing teachers; are assessments such as the SATs being fazed out in favour of teacher based assessments. There are lots of schools who now use APP (Assessing Pupil Progress) to judge how students are progressing.

Obviously, English is a core subject since it is Maths and English pass rate that schools are judged on.

4. Thank you for your reply. I was just looking at how the curriculum was changing.

Now I am off to look at APP, Had not thought of that.

Thanks again

5. They won't expect you to know everything about the curriculum so don't panic. At my interview three years ago they asked me what I thought the major issue facing English teachers at that time was.

They were more interested in why I wanted to teach and what I had learnt from observing other teachers - we had to spend a minimum of a week in a school before applying.

Good luck!

6. greeneyes

greeneyes New commenter

I went back to my old school for a week too. I think I was asked about books I liked and what I could see myself teaching as a class reader.