1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English PGCE conversion courses

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by bluebeard, May 22, 2007.

1. I'm looking to study for an English PGCE but my degree is in law. I know that Bath offer a two year conversion PGCE but I'd really rather study in London. Does anyone know of a similar course in London? Alternatively is anyone aware of a course that would work as a simple conversion to an English UG degree (in the same way that there are law conversion courses) before I applied to a standard English PGCE? Cheers guys.

2. I'm looking to study for an English PGCE but my degree is in law. I know that Bath offer a two year conversion PGCE but I'd really rather study in London. Does anyone know of a similar course in London? Alternatively is anyone aware of a course that would work as a simple conversion to an English UG degree (in the same way that there are law conversion courses) before I applied to a standard English PGCE? Cheers guys.

3. The course at Bath Spa (not Bath!) is the only English conversion course, as far as I am aware. You could probably ask the universities you want to apply at, whether a top-up with the OU might help.

4. Thanks Dejana, and thanks again for correcting me. It is indeed Bath Spa. :)

5. I'm just finishing a law degree too, but I'm going off to do Primary having considered English Secondary. The Bath Spa course was the only one I could find - maybe a few OU modules might help? If you search the forums for 'law degree' there are several threads which might help. Here's the link to one:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_...
    Good luck! Remember that once you get a PGCE, technically you can teach any age or subject so maybe doing a Citizenship PGCE might be an option while you brush up on your English for a later swap? Glad to see someone else is making the leap from law to teaching - I can't wait!

6. Hi, with the thread being a few years old now could you please advise me as to whether Bath Spa still offers this course?