1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English only - successful R&J questions?

Discussion in 'English' started by PIGGYSSPECS, Jun 10, 2012.

1. I'm wondering what questions people have done for the R&J CA which have been successful? We've done family relationships in Act 3 scene 5 (under instruction from the HoD that we should all do the same one) but I've found it produces quite disjointed responses, where the students deal with each relationship in a separate paragraph, and this has tended to restrict them to a Band 3.

Any feedback on questions you've done which have worked would be very much appreciated!

2. I'm wondering what questions people have done for the R&J CA which have been successful? We've done family relationships in Act 3 scene 5 (under instruction from the HoD that we should all do the same one) but I've found it produces quite disjointed responses, where the students deal with each relationship in a separate paragraph, and this has tended to restrict them to a Band 3.

Any feedback on questions you've done which have worked would be very much appreciated!

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I did presentation and development of a character of their choice. Can be scaffolded for weaker learners and allows more able to achieve top marks if possible. Having said that, I no longer have to do CAs as we've jumped ship - yay!

Best of luck :)

4. Spacecadet

Spacecadet New commenter

I enjoy looking at Mercutio's character: He's only in 4 scenes, he's really rude and makes lots of sexual references (the boys like that!), he dies. i don't know how restricted you are by Controlled Assessment prescribed tasks, though.

5. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

IIRC one of the AQA English tasks for 2015 focuses on conflict. All the tasks are woolly, which is a pain. However, conflict is drama gives you so much scope you can do almost anything.

I haven't decided on my play for next year as I don't know what set I'll have yet. I tend to avoid R&J, though. You could use the quotation from Friar Laurence about the marriage uniting the two families if you have an able set. Failing that, it's probably back to Capulet and Juliet. Moderators must be so tired of reading that one.

6. maltesefalcon

maltesefalcon New commenter

We used to do a question which was to what extent is Mercutio to blame for the events of Act 3 Scene 1 (think that is the right scene number -I mean the fight between Mercutio and Tybalt death of Mercutio etc). This worked quite well the students looked at whether Romeo,Mercutio or Tybalt were most to blame or the violent society surrounding them