1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English/Media Studies teacher with a music/technology based degree?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by kieranroche91, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Hello all,

Simple question really; Is there even the slightest chance I could I train to become a English/Media Studies teacher (aspiring to teach at college level) having graduated with only a music and technology based degree? I've been thinking of teaching in this area for the best part of 2yrs but I thought at the time it was best to finish the degree I had started. In hindsight, it now seems I made a huge mistake continuing with the degree I'm now to graduate with, when a) I was never that musically talented and b) I've always held a much greater fondness for an array of media.

I've read that passion for the subject area is an important attribute and whilst I haven't studied English since GCSE, I did study media studies at A- Level. Although I studied a music based course at university, some aspects of what I've done (given the choice) has always related to the media in some way.

Since this forum seems like an excellent place to get some answers, I appreciate any and all opinions and advice.

Thank you!

2. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

You will probably struggle getting on to an English PGCE (with or without Media Studies) without a degree of even A Levels in the subject. Your degree doesn't seem to be that relevant to English either, I'm afraid. Nevertheless, you do, in theory, meet the entry requirements. You'll need an excellent personal statement and references. School experience (in English) will help too.

However, your degree does sound fairly relevant to teaching more practical media-related qualifications (like BTEC Creative Media, rather than A Level Media Studies) at a college. If that appeals, that seems to be a more achievable route for you to go down.