1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English Manager Interview and Task

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clare1117, Oct 9, 2016.

1. clare1117

clare1117 New commenter

Hello,

I am currently KS1 manager in quite a large primary school in London. I moved there last September. I have been asked to apply for the English manager role (we have not had an English manager for a year or so now!). I applied and have been offered an interview, along with two other members of staff. The interview will have a written 'task' too.

I love my role as KS1 manager and really feel like I an a valued, purposeful team leader and I want to be able to support more than just the staff in KS1 so this role could be perfect.

However, English is probably the subject I have the least subject knowledge of, although I have led phonics previously for a few years). I am very confident with maths and science. My written English is good enough, however, I am really worried about what the unseen task will be. Does anybody have any ideas? I am anxious that they will make me write a piece that meets Y6 end of year expectation! Or the Y6 SPaG test! I never normally let things like this bother me! If I don't get the job, I won't mind, but I would be embarrassed if my subject knowledge lets me down.

Do you think it is more important to be a great leader or have great subject knowledge? I haven't lead a core subject before either so I am not sure what else they may ask me. I am expecting questions possibly on;

• assessment procedures
    • EAL/ SEN (I have little knowledge of EAL but our school has 60% EAL(!)
    • data
    • how to inspire staff and raise the profile of English
    • phonics
    • redrafting/ writing policy
    • improving spelling
    • How to deal with difficult staff
    Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help :)

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Your written task will most likely be marking or levelling some work. It definitely won't be writing an essay! (Though heaven knows in some schools it might be these days...weirdness rules in some places.)
    Or it could be analysing some data.

3. clare1117

clare1117 New commenter

I had an interview once where I had to sit the Y6 Level 6 maths test alongside a SPaG paper!

Thanks for replying :)
    Assessing writing is a nightmare at the minute! I have just about got the hang of the Y2 expectations. Hopefully it wouldn't be a Y6...