1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English MA?

Discussion in 'English' started by anon8315, Jul 15, 2011.

1. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Hi
    (You'll all probably say I'm mad!)
    I'm considering doing an MA part-time alongside being head of English.
    Has anybody successfully done both? I'm so enthusiastic about the subject I want to study that I'm desperate to do it and now, while I don't have children, seems a good time? Or am I quite insane?
    Would welcome thoughts! x

2. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Thank you - that's really promising! x

3. Clarerees

Clarerees New commenter

It's brilliant. On the final module now and, although I've taken a year out to have my baby, I have to say I've managed ok so far. The aspect of my life that I've had to give up (because something has to go) has only been the rubbish tv aspect. So if you reckon you can survive without The Apprentice/ Supernanny/ Wife swap etc. , you'll be fine!
    And now is obviously a good time to start because of the TDA funding. I take it that's an incentive? If not, check it out!

4. jd1

jd1

Definitely go ahead and do it. I did mine many years ago - I had major curriculum responsibilities at the time but had no family. Even so, whilst doing my 2 year part time course (which involved travelling an hour each way twice a week to go to university lectures & seminars), I also moved house & had a baby. Yes, it can get stressful, but that's true of many aspects of life anyway.
    If you're keen on the subject you're about to study and you see that the time is currently "right" for you, what have you got to lose? (I had similar advice given to me my a colleague at the time - I'm so glad I listened to what she said!)
    Good luck.

5. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

I'm doing one at the moment - and I love it. If it's going to make you happy,do it. If you love the subject and are passionate about it, you will probably find relatively straightforward. Go for it - and enjoy!
    ps. you can Sky+ your rubbish tv - I always need that to relax! [​IMG]

6. Where are you all doing your MAs? I'm soon to be looking for a decent distance learning opportunity and have no idea where to start! Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

7. I've just completed an MA alongside being head of English, and loved it, although it did require the sacrifice of a number of half terms and other holidays. It was demanding, but a real sense of achievement in the end. Mine was at Bham Uni, and the modules were very flexible, mainly in holidays and at weekends. What's the course you're thinking of doing?