1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English Literature GCSE

Discussion in 'English' started by DalekTeacher, Oct 22, 2011.

1. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

Hello,
    One of my exam classes are taking GCSE English Literature and are currently studying 'Of Mice and Men' and poetry. My pupils seem to have forgotten much of the text from last year but as the exam is in January, is there time to re-read the novel again and explore poetry?
    Thank you,
    Dalekteacher.

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

We issue set texts to students and set reading as homework. I only read once in class but go through passages or revise themes in single lessons nearer the exam. I also set timed essays on all texts in the term leading up to the exam, usually one a week although that's across all papers and sometimes they just plan and start in the lesson and finish for homework. This year (ours do the exam in the summer), I will start doing revision lessons once a week from Feb to revise OMAM and the poetry while finishing the second novel and practising English Language questions. For some students, the only reading they do is in class, but I can't use lesson time for reading a novel in class more than once.

3. I agree with Gloria. I tend to get a bit angry with students who haven't done the really obvious thing and re-read the text themselves! BY the sounds of it, the OP is teaching WJEC and so I'd do a number of extract related tasks that focus on the key things they need to remember and know.