1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English lit.

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Woozy, May 21, 2007.

1. Hi, i hope someone on here can help me.

My nephew is currently revising for his GCSEs and he has asked me for some advise today,...argh! I teach primary and havent got a clue how to help him.

He is studying 'Of Mice and Men' and 'Blood Brothers'. He wants to know what to revise basically, he said he has looked and prfiled characters, but seems at a bit of a loss as to what else he can do. Does anyone have any ideas for headings that i could give him to help with his revision.

Many thanks,

2. Hi, i hope someone on here can help me.

My nephew is currently revising for his GCSEs and he has asked me for some advise today,...argh! I teach primary and havent got a clue how to help him.

He is studying 'Of Mice and Men' and 'Blood Brothers'. He wants to know what to revise basically, he said he has looked and prfiled characters, but seems at a bit of a loss as to what else he can do. Does anyone have any ideas for headings that i could give him to help with his revision.

Many thanks,

3. I tell mine repeatedly ... there is NO substitute for knowing the texts well! None. Read them, read it again, and again, and again.

Ensure he knows a number of key quotations for each character.

In the case of 'Blood Brothers', he should also brush up on stage directions and acting techniques in case he gets asked one of those God-awful, "How would Edward's character be revealed by an actor" type of questions, which, incidentally, are best avoided like the plague IMO!

4. With 'Of Mice and Men' he should look for themes such as loneliness, dreams etc. For a controlled assessment my year 10's have just answered the question: How does the writer develop the character of George paying particular attention to Chapter 3? I have numerous resources and you are welcome to all or some of them, just let me know and I will post or send them to you.