1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English Lit B comedy genre

Discussion in 'English' started by clough1989, Aug 20, 2012.

1. I'm thinking about setting my group a question on the Mechanicals in AMND but the example questions AQA have seem to be much more focussed on general questions about comedy than specific aspects of the play being studied. I also can't think of how to phrase the question! Has anyone been involved in writing a SOW for this who could give examples of coursework titles?

2. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

You need to look at the genre unless you want to set a recreative task. I assume that the unit is still 'aspects of', so students need to show that they understand comedy as a genre. As the whole mechanicals thing is a sub plot, a question only on them won't meet the AOs. Take a very close look at the mark scheme.

3. Thanks for the tip. First SOW I've ever written, and it's KS5 so I'm worried about not meeting the AOs. I've read the Cambridge Companion to Comedy and that was really useful as an overview of the genre but still don't feel entirely confident about what they are looking for. The mark scheme does make it clear they need to understand certain aspects of comedy such as the status of comic heroes but I haven't especially come across that in my reading. I'm going to the AQA course on this so hopefully it will all become clear!!

4. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

Your idea did look rather too GCSE, tbh. They have to have a detailed understanding of the whole play at AS. If you are going to focus on certain scenes, they need to be chosen carefully with the AOs in mind. The mark scheme can be a bit opaque when you aren't used to it.
    You may not have realised that they aren't equally weighted, either. I can't remember the scheme off the top of my head, but if there are 3 bullet points for e.g. AO3 and 1 for AO4, then AO3 carries the most marks. I do remember that AO1 doesn't carry mush weight at AS, but you should be teaching it. No good waiting till A2 and finding they can't contruct an essay.