1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English Language, Scribes and AO6

Discussion in 'English' started by petrichor89, Jun 15, 2017.

1. petrichor89

petrichor89 New commenter

Hello all,

I hope you can help! I feel like I'm going a little mad!

Earlier in the year, I know I read something that said that students would receive no marks for AO6 if they worked with a scribe.

Since then, however, I am certain I've read something that redacted that - but do you think I can find it?!

Can anyone help?

Many thanks.

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

You don't say whose A06 it is but you may find the answer if you can see the latest mark scheme for whichever body and specification it is. Otherwise you need to check with an examiner or a representative of the body..

Is AO6 spelling and punctuation? If that's all it is, and if it's the scribe's spelling and punctuation, then you wouldn't expect to gain any marks, would you? If A06 covers something else, then you would expect some credit.

(I'm guessing for you!)

3. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

Oh, this was the bane of my life two years ago! I don't think I've contacted AQA re: this, but I did speak to OCR 1-2 years ago (so old spec stuff). Their response was problematic - as it covers spelling, punctuation, grammar (and now vocabulary choice), they said 'it depends' on how much the candidate directs the scribe, and that this is detailed on a cover sheet that goes with the exam(?). They couldn't give me a guide such as 'they'll lose 5% of marks on that AO' or anything else.

It could definitely have changed as I don't think I've chased it up since - I'd recommend a call to the board for advice though. I do remember emailing AQA regarding using scribes and the impact it has on AO1 in the A Level spec. Advice was again vague but I at least had it in writing if questions were asked by students or parents.

4. markuss

OK. So, the body is AQA and the AO covers grammar and vocabulary as well as spelling and punctuation.

If the scribe cover sheet says that the candidate dictated all spelling and punctuation (most unlikely!) then you'd expect the work to be marked the same as anyone else's. Otherwise, you'd think that the candidate would get AO6 credit for vocabulary and grammar only.

The body surely has a policy for mark adjustment. Someone must be able to tell you what it is! (But who?)
    Try asking on Assessment?

5. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

All GCSE specifications for a subject use the same AOs.

6. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

When I marked NCT (I see markuss is on the thread) KS3 writing, the default spelling mark /4 was 2 if there was a scribe.
    This probably isn't very helpful :-(

7. markuss

Thanks, yes, of course they do now. (I'm currently marking a legacy unit where spelling and punctuation are part of "AO3 iii". So not yet up to date. Shall be working on "AO 6" very shortly.)