1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English language for years 7 and 8

Discussion in 'English' started by sarahedson, Apr 9, 2012.

1. I need a new set of text books for years 7 and 8. I am currently using Oxford but they are from the 1990s and the children can really tell. Currently the books include sections on: Fiction, non-fiction, language and poetry; so a similar format would be good to match current planning. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

2. I need this too!!! Having real trouble sourcing something that is up to date.

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Why do you need textbooks? There are plenty of free schemes based around those units.

4. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

We only use text books for cover. Far better to develop your own resources which can be pitched at the kids you're teaching. Saying that, I was sent a copy of A Bridge to GCSE English which is published by Collins. It's aimed at Year 9 and develops their AF skills into GCSE skills. I've only flicked through it, and won't be ordering it, but if you really feel text books are the best way to teach, it might be worth a look.