1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English language degree for English teaching in Scotland

Discussion in 'English' started by jadesim1994, Aug 30, 2016.

1. jadesim1994

jadesim1994 New commenter

Hi there!

I am currently doing my PGDE in secondary English (just started in August!) and I'm looking for some advice. I have an honours degree in English Language, and obviously completed the necessary 80 credits in English literature to be allowed on to the course. Two of my honours courses counted jointly as Scottish literature credits, and my dissertation was also literature based. However, I can't help but worry that I've made some sort of terrible mistake. I'm worried that: 1. I'm missing some key, literary analysis tools which would be essential to teaching English (which I would be more than happy to brush up on; but worries me nonetheless)
    2. I'll find it difficult to get a job at the end, as employers could potentially favour an English literature degree

Are there any English teachers out there who have an English language degree and can put my mind at ease?

Thank you :)