1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English KS3

Discussion in 'English' started by Matrixx, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Hi,
    In my current school I have noticed the English teacher setting KS3 SATs papers from 2003-8 for our Mid Year assessments for Year 7, 8 and 9. This was the practise last year. After googling the papers I noticed they are for Year 9 ideally, Is that correct? They seemed pretty challenging. Would it not be better in your opinion or I am not sure if this is a common practise in schools, but to set an in-school designed paper which is based around the topics taught in class?
    Your thoughts are welcome,
    P.S. I also came across the DFE 'optional tests' do these provide a better alternative?

2. Hi,
    In my current school I have noticed the English teacher setting KS3 SATs papers from 2003-8 for our Mid Year assessments for Year 7, 8 and 9. This was the practise last year. After googling the papers I noticed they are for Year 9 ideally, Is that correct? They seemed pretty challenging. Would it not be better in your opinion or I am not sure if this is a common practise in schools, but to set an in-school designed paper which is based around the topics taught in class?
    Your thoughts are welcome,
    P.S. I also came across the DFE 'optional tests' do these provide a better alternative?

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Schools do things differently. The SATs papers assessed Levels 4-7 and proved difficult for Level 4 children. We don't use them because we assess every half term with the idea that at the end of the year, there will be three reading, three writing and two speaking and listening levels. All assessments are at, or towards the end, of units of work. Some teachers like the tests because they have plenty in the cupboard, mark schemes and level boundaries to ensure consistency across a cohort but they've been used less and less as more schools have been encouraged to use APP grids.

4. Pretty much spot on that level 4 children were very disgruntled at these tests and the 5 and above seemed to cope with it well. I see sense in adopting the APP grid approach and assessing every 1/2 term as the assessment will focus on work done in-class. I am quite sure the current English teacher would prefer this. Is there an APP grid online that can be used? Are the 3 R&W S&L Levels averaged to give one for each strand?

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Yes, there are lots of grids online, but really this is a decision for the head of department, in consultation with teachers. It may be that your HoD has agreed with SLT to use SATs tests for summative assessment,

6. Yeah of course, however, the teacher is not a qualified in English but another core subject. It is smalll charity run independent with less than 100 students, so pretty early stages. Basically, just need advice as to what is best practice.