1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English interview obs in Year 3/4 mixed class

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by daisydrops1991, May 3, 2019.

1. daisydrops1991

daisydrops1991 New commenter

Hello everyone.

I have been offered a job interview next week at a two-form intake primary school that focuses on mixed classes. They have asked me to teach a 45 minute English lesson and have been told the topic is 'Trailblazers' which is focusing on the Americans. I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer me any advice? I've never taught English at an interview before so I am quite nervous!

2. stressed.kath

stressed.kath New commenter

One thing I came to learn when interviewing for jobs, was that my success came when I didn't teach an 'interview lesson'. I was successful when I taught a lesson or part of a lesson that I would always teach but just adapt it to suit the given time and make sure I knew what I was going to do to adapt the lesson if the children either needed the lesson to be extended or made more accessible. Research the topic area and then think about how you could adapt a lesson you have taught well to that subject content. Choose an objective and then decide how you are going to design that lesson to ensure that all children will have an opportunity to progress. Try to find something that will capture their attention but always keep in mind that your purpose is to help them to progress in their learning.