1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English interview lesson

Discussion in 'English' started by sebedina, Oct 25, 2015.

1. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Despite having excellent subject knowledge, somehow I don't come across very well in interview/observation situations. I normally plan my own lesson for the observation and do everything from scratch which takes me ages to put together.

I honestly don't know if the lesson is hitting the right expectations. I always have differentiated objectives, and have success criteria. It is the "delivery" that somehow goes wrong... I don't know whether I talk too much or if my activities are not managed properly. I give praise and try and smile, but time and time again I get rejected. However, whenever I have had "learning walk" observations, things go OK and there aren't issues. So I am definitely doing something wrong during observations and I don't get "outstanding". I have developed a fear of going into schools for observed lessons. I almost feel that I grow two heads or wear "horns" whenever I am being observed and I scare them away!!!

Do you use an existing Scheme of Work when planning a lesson for observation purposes?? Would it be better for me to stick to lesson that has already been put together on a Scheme ??

In my last job which was a long term sickness cover, I was told that the school is trying to get "outstanding" and implying that I wasn't good enough so was given the heave ho.

2. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

What feedback have you been given from the interview observation lessons? What feedback did your long term cover school give you, with regards to observations?

3. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Sometimes I get feedback about pace and I know that I have to come across more enthusiastic (even though I take my teaching seriously). The last job ob that I didn't get really didn't come back to the agency to give feedback. Even though I had asked for it. The woman apparently was away for a week then they didn't respond. Another more recent feedback from an observation by a consultant, was that he felt I should show more passion or words to that effect. I am in the dark otherwise. I thought next time I will find a scheme and use a lesson from that. The less input from me the better!

4. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

I feel for you, but I don't think finding a scheme and doing a lesson from that, is the best option. The lesson has to come from YOU, otherwise how will you feel any passion for it?

As for the pace, ensure that tasks are short and chunky, and ensure that progess is shown. Are you showing success criteria? Are you assessing students against it to demonstrate progress?

5. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

The best feedback is to ask somebody to video your lesson and then watch yourself. As cringeworthy as it is, I did this and it moved me from good to outstanding - watching myself meant I could really see where I lacked pace, or missed opportunities when questioning and where I quite simply did too much for my students. This was the same general feedback I got from observers, I was just unsure how to alter it. It was seeing myself teach that made me realise how to make minor changes that gave me greater overall outcomes.