1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English graduate with weak subject knowledge.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by misscanarian80, Oct 31, 2017.

1. misscanarian80

misscanarian80 New commenter

Hello there,

I am really hoping somebody can give me some advice please.

I graduated this year with a First in English and I even won the English Program Prize for excellence in my research. My degree was very Literature heavy, so knowing my grammar was poor and my knowledge of 'English Language' was weaker, I purposely elected to study the language based modules, yet it has had little effect. I am an English graduate who still doesn't know the rules and intricacies of English!

I am currently in the first phase of my Secondary English PGCE, and I am ashamed to say that many of the students have a better understanding of grammar and language than I do! I am a mature graduate, so the KS2 Glossary has only been a recent admission to my knowledge bank. Furthermore, I did not sit A-Level English. I completed a Level 3 Diploma to gain my place at Uni, so I have little working knowledge of grammar and language at KS3, 4 and beyond.

In order to try and plug the gaps I am constantly revising. I use the BBC's GCSE Bitesize and Grammar Monster but it is taking a huge amount of effort for it all to sink in. I feel so stressed out about it and I am concerned my inability to be proficient in these areas will impact on my students' progress more than anything!

Can any of you suggest anything to help?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Please do not worry. Take it in small steps and learn an area at a time. A lot of it is learning the terminology and once you know the parts and what they are called, then it starts to make sense. English language is a broad field. Don't try to learn it all at once. Your writing is fluent, so don't worry.

Another good resource is English Grammar for Dummies and also a web site called Grammar Bytes.

You were accepted onto the course so you must have been good enough, so don't worry.

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Don't worry about it - KS2 and 3 content doesn't feature in university degrees because a lot of it is meaningless and newly invented - so Y7 kids may know what a fronted adverbial is, but they can't tell you how many tenses we have in English. o_O Which one of these things is more useful, hmmmm?

As for remembering things - it's taken me about 2 years to remember which is a compound sentence, and which a complex sentence. There are lots of great resources out there (look on Tes) such as lists of grammar terms, language terms, structure terms... so why not give some of them to the kids and have them take responsibility for their own learning, so if they ask you 'Is this x or y?' you can direct them to the handout that's stuck in their book from last lesson.

Also, instead of worrying about the KS2 list I'd focus on the KS4 curriculum if I were you - that's the stuff they need embedding at KS3.

misscanarian80 and pepper5 like this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Excellent advice BSD.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  5. misscanarian80

misscanarian80 New commenter

Thank you both so very much for your words of wisdom, and reassurance! It is honestly keeping me up at night!

I am trying to absorb as much as I can but you are right: I need to relax and stop trying to cram it all in. It is hard though because I feel totally dumb around my colleagues, who have so much experience, and are all so good at it.

I really wish I was a natural grammarian - if this is even a word!

Thank you for the links - I will have a look at these. As for KS4 curriculum, I am eating, sleeping and breathing it at the moment! That and the Teacher Standards!

Again, huge thanks

pepper5 and blueskydreaming like this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You are welcome and you will be absolutely fine. Don't compare yourself to others - remember younare just starting out.

7. Teacher-in-Training42

Teacher-in-Training42 New commenter

I agree

8. AngelEd22

AngelEd22 New commenter

If you want to practice your grammar, then I recommend English Grammar in Use by Ray Murphy. It is widely used in ESOL lessons and it explains all the rules that you need to know and there are exercises if you need to practice. If you need a good English Language textbook that is aimed at degree level, then get The Frameworks of English by Kim Ballard. That book got me through my exams!